Results 1 to 10 of 63

Thread: Flash to USB installer (experimental) in 7.0.5

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by STraute View Post
    Hello ttopp;


    Well, I still don't know why Your PC can boot Spinrite from flash storage but seemingly nothing else. Therefore I don't yet have an answer.


    Sorry, I can't help you there either. The only PC (Laptop) with a floppy drive I still have does not have usable USB ports. But I remember to be able to write boot floppies for/from a Linux Installation on the internal hard disk of that laptop. That was a nice way to preserve boot loaders of other OS on the HDD of the laptop.
    Knoppix still comes with the needed tools, I think: fdformat and grub-mkrescue (or grub-mkimage) might be the ticket for that. Perhaps other forum members can help you to find and test a procedure for making a Knoppix 7.0.5 boot floppy?
    Thank you so much. And, the 256MB USB that booted Spinrite had a FreeDOS on it -if I hadn't mentioned it-, prior to now. I apologize, I thought I covered all the particulars. I last used LILO so I am now off to read up on, grub? Thank you.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1

    Knoppix 7.0.5 USB installer (experimental) fix for Dummies

    As a new user to Knoppix, and Linux in general, I could not get Knoppix 7.0.5 (Experimental) to install on my USB due to the error message saying that the overlay must be set at 400MB.

    I read Straute’sposts, 11 and 21, over and over trying as a FNG to understand what he was advising Philo to do and most importantly, how to do it. So with the little UNIX knowledge I have, I ventured down the following path.

    To apply this fix/patch I used vi editor. Google “vi editor commands” if you’re not familiar with vi

    1- Open a terminal window and at the “knoppix@Microknoppix:-$” prompt type su then hit[Enter]
    2- At the “root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix#” prompt type “cd /usr/bin” hit [Enter]
    3- At the next prompt type “vi flash-knoppix2 [Enter]
    4- At the #!/bin/bash prompt, use your down arrow key to scroll down to line “367,1.
    You should be on the line that reads “total="$(awk '{print ($1 / 2048 )}'/sys/block/"${FLASH##*/}"/size 2>/dev/null)"
    5- Use your right arrow key to scroll over to “total="$(awk'{print”
    6- Place your cursor just after the word {print_” and press the letter “i” to Insert characters.
    7- Make these changes: {printf ("%d", ($1 / 2048 ) )}’
    8- Hit the ESC key, then type “:wq [Enter]” to write and save your changes to flash-knoppix2.
    9- Open another terminal window and again type su [Enter]
    10- Type “cd /user/bin/ [Enter]”
    11- Type “ flash-knoppex2 [Enter]
    12- When the “flash-knoppix (as superuser)” window opens, select your USB drive and click on [OK]
    13- At the next window select option “p” and click on [OK]
    14- You can now proceed with the install without the “overlay must be set at400MB’ message

    I hope this is of some helpto those new to Linux and newer to Knoppix.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fully Refurbished Commodore 64 + Original Box | Recapped, Tested, Guaranteed picture

Fully Refurbished Commodore 64 + Original Box | Recapped, Tested, Guaranteed

$299.00



 Pi1541 Zero with Epyx Fastload Hat, Case & 16gb SD for Commodore 64 and 128  picture

Pi1541 Zero with Epyx Fastload Hat, Case & 16gb SD for Commodore 64 and 128

$79.99



TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded picture

TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded

$89.50



Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



Commodore SX-64 Personal Computer picture

Commodore SX-64 Personal Computer

$600.00



Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA picture

Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA

$10.49



Commodore 1541 Emulator PI1541 HAT with ROTARY, OLED screen, USA Seller picture

Commodore 1541 Emulator PI1541 HAT with ROTARY, OLED screen, USA Seller

$29.99



SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800

$59.99



Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW picture

Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW

$11.99



RARE Commodore MPS801 Printer - 1st printer for the 64 - powers on picture

RARE Commodore MPS801 Printer - 1st printer for the 64 - powers on

$70.00