Results 1 to 10 of 63

Thread: Flash to USB installer (experimental) in 7.0.5

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    152
    Hello STraute,
    My post #22 was written before you sent your post #21. Probably took some time for the moderator to check my spelling or whatever before allowing it to be published.
    I read your posts #11 and 21 a number of times and decided to try #21.
    I have been using Knoppix since 5.x but I am always hesitant to put my head under the hood.
    I did this time and it worked! I have a 26GB overlay.I am so grateful.
    I still wonder why I could format my Sandisk 16GB with the orginal script, but not the 32GB.
    Maybe Klaus should modify the script.
    I have a subsidiary question. Come Knoppix 7.0.6 etc, shall I be able to import my 26GB overlay into a new version of the program?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    15

    Talking

    Hello philo
    Quote Originally Posted by philo View Post
    Hello STraute,
    My post #22 was written before you sent your post #21. Probably took some time for the moderator to check my spelling or whatever before allowing it to be published.
    Until now, I did not understand why you had appearantly choosen to ignore my advice.
    Your explanation makes that clear, Thank You for taking the time. I had guessed that my advice
    in post #11 was perhaps too technical for you. After You showed persistence in your reply to
    Blacksimon and mentioned the overlay is too small error message again; I decided to
    explain the same approach again, but in a way requiering less prior knowledge.
    Quote Originally Posted by philo View Post
    I read your posts #11 and 21 a number of times and decided to try #21.
    I have been using Knoppix since 5.x but I am always hesitant to put my head under the hood.
    I did this time and it worked! I have a 26GB overlay. I am so grateful.
    Good! I am happy I could help.

    Quote Originally Posted by philo View Post
    I still wonder why I could format my Sandisk 16GB with the orginal script, but not the 32GB.
    I can only speculate, but:
    Your Sandisk 16 GB device might have a storage capacity in 512 byte blocks which is dividable by 2048 without remainder;
    While Your 32 GB device might have storage capacity in 512 byte blocks which is dividable only by 2048 with a remainder.

    Quote Originally Posted by philo View Post
    Maybe Klaus should modify the script.
    That has been taken care of. He said he would use this patch in the next release.

    Quote Originally Posted by philo View Post
    I have a subsidiary question. Come Knoppix 7.0.6 etc, shall I be able to import my 26GB overlay into a new version of the program?
    I wouldn't try to reuse the same overlay file system with another Knoppix release.
    If You make changes to the system (for example, by installing Debian packages or by just making changes in the
    system configuration), then some of those changes might be incompatible with subsequent Knoppix releases. I would
    rather suggest to create backup(s) of your home directory/directories from Your Knoppix 7.0.5 flash medium
    (i.e. by creating compressed tar file archives on other storage like seperate internal or external hard disk. That would preserve Linux file attributes/permissions even if the tar archive files are stored on Windows file systems).
    You might also want to maintain copies/repositories of changes to the system configuration
    (files in the /etc/ hierarchy for example). A list of the currently installed Debian packages can be created with
    a command like this:
    Code:
    dpkg-query -l|egrep "^i" >my_installed_debian_packages_list_for_knoppix_7.0.5.txt
    When the time comes to switch to a new Knoppix release, create a fresh flash installation with a
    separate big persistent overlay file system. Using the fresh Knopppix instance, You can restore your backed up
    home directories and reinstall the Debian packages You need (using the list).
    It might be easier to just upgrade Debian packages, without upgrading to newer Knoppix releases
    (until a new Knoppix release has new features You really want).
    But you should create those backups anyway - Better be safe than sorry.
    I hope I could answer your question in a satifsfactory manner.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.50



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



LOT OF 3 Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory picture

LOT OF 3 Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory

$255.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



SK Hynix 32GB Server Memory 2Rx4 PC4-2400T-R81-11 HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH Server RAM picture

SK Hynix 32GB Server Memory 2Rx4 PC4-2400T-R81-11 HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH Server RAM

$169.99



SK Hynix 8GB 1RX4 PC4-2133P-RC0-10 Registered Server RAM HMA41GR7MFR4N-TF TD AB picture

SK Hynix 8GB 1RX4 PC4-2133P-RC0-10 Registered Server RAM HMA41GR7MFR4N-TF TD AB

$34.99



5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT picture

5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT

$9.99