-
If you select "p" you'll get your Overlay within a separate partition "/dev/sda2" with the mountpoint "KNOPPIX-DATA"
flash-knoppix2..png
This partition is ReiserFS formatted; therefore the overlay size can exceed the size of 4GB. The partition "/dev/sda1" is FAT32 formatted as usual.
In my example I've used an USB-drive of about 150GB and I created an overlay partition of 20GB.
As you can see there is remainig free space at '/mnt-system/' of 126GB which also can be used. For example create the folder
'/mnt-system/personal_stuff/'
and store whatever you want within this folder.
-
Alright, thank you for the information. I had attempted the same steps as described by blacksimon prior to my first post (which lead to my posting in the first place) and am not presented with
5) ok at warning message all data will erase on usb. I want.
In my case I was given an error at that point that my overlay was too small (less than 400MB). I have tried with an 8GB fat32 partition (let me state here again that the drive in question is a verbatim tuff 'n' tiny 8GB thumb drive) and that failed with that message. I then tried a 2GB fat32 and a 6GB ext2 partition. Failed. I then tried 2GB fat32 and 6GB ext4. Failed. I then checked the forum and saw this thread and tried a 2GB fat32 and 6GB ReiserFS. Failed. Then I tried with a 2GB fat32 and left the rest of the drive unpartitioned. Failed. I then tried all of the above with the second partition named "live-rw" (thinking maybe knoppix is possibly now incorporating debian live's startup script). Failed. This is what I did earlier before my first post. It sounds to me, from blacksimon's post, I should not have needed to touch the partitions in anyway. I kind of figured that was how this should have worked. So.... is this function just "too" experimental? If I missed something obvious please, please point it out. In the mean time I am now home so I will try again from my home PC instead of my work PC and see if I come up with any other result.
PS
I did try before I gave up entirely using the normal install or the "i" option instead of "p" and the install worked no problem and the USB booted into knoppix as expected.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99

HGST 0F23072 Deskstar NAS 6TB SATA III 7200RPM 128MB 3.5in HDD
$84.99

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HDD HUH721212ALN600
$239.99