Results 1 to 10 of 63

Thread: Flash to USB installer (experimental) in 7.0.5

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    15

    Booting Knoppix from flash device on PC of ttop, again

    Hello ttopp;

    Quote Originally Posted by ttopp View Post
    But, Does this mean that I am stuck with needing a DVD or a pre configured floppy disk to get the USB booted?
    Well, I still don't know why Your PC can boot Spinrite from flash storage but seemingly nothing else. Therefore I don't yet have an answer.

    Quote Originally Posted by ttopp View Post
    I have a floppy drive if someone would care to share how to get this done.
    Sorry, I can't help you there either. The only PC (Laptop) with a floppy drive I still have does not have usable USB ports. But I remember to be able to write boot floppies for/from a Linux Installation on the internal hard disk of that laptop. That was a nice way to preserve boot loaders of other OS on the HDD of the laptop.
    Knoppix still comes with the needed tools, I think: fdformat and grub-mkrescue (or grub-mkimage) might be the ticket for that. Perhaps other forum members can help you to find and test a procedure for making a Knoppix 7.0.5 boot floppy?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by STraute View Post
    Hello ttopp;


    Well, I still don't know why Your PC can boot Spinrite from flash storage but seemingly nothing else. Therefore I don't yet have an answer.


    Sorry, I can't help you there either. The only PC (Laptop) with a floppy drive I still have does not have usable USB ports. But I remember to be able to write boot floppies for/from a Linux Installation on the internal hard disk of that laptop. That was a nice way to preserve boot loaders of other OS on the HDD of the laptop.
    Knoppix still comes with the needed tools, I think: fdformat and grub-mkrescue (or grub-mkimage) might be the ticket for that. Perhaps other forum members can help you to find and test a procedure for making a Knoppix 7.0.5 boot floppy?
    Thank you so much. And, the 256MB USB that booted Spinrite had a FreeDOS on it -if I hadn't mentioned it-, prior to now. I apologize, I thought I covered all the particulars. I last used LILO so I am now off to read up on, grub? Thank you.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1

    Knoppix 7.0.5 USB installer (experimental) fix for Dummies

    As a new user to Knoppix, and Linux in general, I could not get Knoppix 7.0.5 (Experimental) to install on my USB due to the error message saying that the overlay must be set at 400MB.

    I read Straute’sposts, 11 and 21, over and over trying as a FNG to understand what he was advising Philo to do and most importantly, how to do it. So with the little UNIX knowledge I have, I ventured down the following path.

    To apply this fix/patch I used vi editor. Google “vi editor commands” if you’re not familiar with vi

    1- Open a terminal window and at the “knoppix@Microknoppix:-$” prompt type su then hit[Enter]
    2- At the “root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix#” prompt type “cd /usr/bin” hit [Enter]
    3- At the next prompt type “vi flash-knoppix2 [Enter]
    4- At the #!/bin/bash prompt, use your down arrow key to scroll down to line “367,1.
    You should be on the line that reads “total="$(awk '{print ($1 / 2048 )}'/sys/block/"${FLASH##*/}"/size 2>/dev/null)"
    5- Use your right arrow key to scroll over to “total="$(awk'{print”
    6- Place your cursor just after the word {print_” and press the letter “i” to Insert characters.
    7- Make these changes: {printf ("%d", ($1 / 2048 ) )}’
    8- Hit the ESC key, then type “:wq [Enter]” to write and save your changes to flash-knoppix2.
    9- Open another terminal window and again type su [Enter]
    10- Type “cd /user/bin/ [Enter]”
    11- Type “ flash-knoppex2 [Enter]
    12- When the “flash-knoppix (as superuser)” window opens, select your USB drive and click on [OK]
    13- At the next window select option “p” and click on [OK]
    14- You can now proceed with the install without the “overlay must be set at400MB’ message

    I hope this is of some helpto those new to Linux and newer to Knoppix.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6 picture

Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6

$210.00



qty 50 Memory Module DDR3 SODIMM 4GB Module 1.6Ghz Silicon Power SDRAM picture

qty 50 Memory Module DDR3 SODIMM 4GB Module 1.6Ghz Silicon Power SDRAM

$80.00



LOT OF 2  Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-EE1-11 P/N: MTA18ASF2G72AZ-2G6D1ZG picture

LOT OF 2 Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-EE1-11 P/N: MTA18ASF2G72AZ-2G6D1ZG

$199.95



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Lot of 8 A2ZEON 8GB DDR4-2133 RDIMM ECC 1Rx4 Server Memory RD4R8G44S2133 picture

Lot of 8 A2ZEON 8GB DDR4-2133 RDIMM ECC 1Rx4 Server Memory RD4R8G44S2133

$529.99



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Micron MTA18ASF2G72XF1Z-2G9WP1ABVGD 16GB 1Rx4 NN4-2933Y DDR4 ECC NVDIMM picture

Micron MTA18ASF2G72XF1Z-2G9WP1ABVGD 16GB 1Rx4 NN4-2933Y DDR4 ECC NVDIMM

$74.50