-
question about Knoppix flash disk write cycles
Hello All,
I have a question about Knoppix flash disk write cycles.
Considering the limited write cycles a usb stick can survive, I started with Puppy.
I installed Puppy on my USB stick and worked with it for a while.
Puppy gives the user complete control over the write cycle to the usb stick.
The user can manually trigger an update to the usb stick by clicking on a dedicated
icon on the desktop. Updates/changes are also written to the usb stick during shutdown.
User initiated write cycles are small in numbers and practically will bever reach
the usb flashdisk limit, but a mechanized (program initiated) write cycle can reach that
limit in few minutes.
I was not able to activate the encryption on Puppy, so I switched to Knoppix.
I installed Knoppix on my usb stick using "unetbootin", I then created an encrypted
persistent file, and I am working with it happily ever after.
However, Knoppix does not give a direct control over the usb write cycles as Puppy.
I don't know when/if Knoppix writes to the usb stick.
I know the "toram" cheat code will cause Knoppix to load itself to the RAM
and work from there, but what about programs that are running from the persistent file ?
Can such programs write to the persistent file back and forth ?
Is there a tool to show the user (me) when exactly does Knoppix writes to the usb stick ?
Could it be that I am actually killing my usb by runing Knoppix from it ?
Thanks for any help,
nopics.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP
$400.00

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99

5 Allworx Verge 9312 VoIP IP Phone 12-Line Speakerphone Black RJ-45 MPN 8113120
$999.00

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB
$27.07

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)
$18.99

NEW Cisco Mitel 6930 IP Phone VoIP Business Phone Black Sealed
$89.99

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included
$27.99