Quote Originally Posted by jonbanjo View Post
Thanks. I just checked my laptop with an OpenSuse USB install and that is recognised and boots OK. So both my computers that can't see Knoppix USB install for booting can boot from USB.

As for age, the laptop is getting on a bit and perhaps there still could be some age issues with it but the motherboard in the other PC is only 1 year old and now has a BIOS that's only 1 month old....

.
Are there any differences in the type of USBflash media between the ones that work and those that don't?

I've got one PC whose BIOS requires only an adjustment in the boot priority sequence to boot from US UNLESS the flash media is over a certain size, in that case, it appears in the disk menu of the BIOS too, and has to be configured there as well, or it won't boot. That same BIOS also eliminates USB from boot priority list (and the disk list) whenever you boot without a USB storage device installed. I then have to reset the BIOS before booting the next time I want to boot from USB.

I just installed 705 to usbflash yesterday BTW, hoping it would be able to read my 64GB SDXC card on usb30. Unfortunately, it couldn't. But strangely it could read it in the laptop's internal SD slot, although at only 10MB/s.