Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Cannot set static IP address in Knoppix 7

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member voidxor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    9
    Where do I find network manager? Is that a graphical program? If so, it shouldn't affect anything in text mode (Knoppix 2).

    I did boot to the GUI and set the static IP address graphically and it worked, BTW. But that's not a solution to my problem because I still prefer text mode and should be able to change network adapter settings from there.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by voidxor View Post
    Where do I find network manager? Is that a graphical program? If so, it shouldn't affect anything in text mode (Knoppix 2).

    I did boot to the GUI and set the static IP address graphically and it worked, BTW. But that's not a solution to my problem because I still prefer text mode and should be able to change network adapter settings from there.
    All system programs may be equipped with some kind of graphical front-ends, but still operate without them, so text mode is no guarantee that a service doesn't run and keep on doing things you don't want. If you search for network-manager, you will find it is a Gnome-based service, currently configured by /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf (on my out-of-the-box 7.0.5 DVD), with this default content:

    Code:
    [main] 
    plugins=ifupdown,keyfile  
    [ifupdown]
    managed=true
    The intention, at least, is that you can tweak this to fit your needs, but if it doesn't wotk out, you can always use the cheat code klaus2008 suggests.

  3. #3
    Junior Member voidxor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    9
    The nonetworkmanager cheat works perfectly. Thank you for the workaround. Are we gaining a consensus that Network Manager is unwelcome in Knoppix 2? Does anybody else feel that this is a bug?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by voidxor View Post
    The nonetworkmanager cheat works perfectly. Thank you for the workaround. Are we gaining a consensus that Network Manager is unwelcome in Knoppix 2? Does anybody else feel that this is a bug?
    I wouldn't call it a bug with today's ordinary uses. To me, it is rather a typical example of simplicity for most users becoming a hassle for some more technically oriented ones. I think the config files lets us give the MAC addresses of interfaces network-manager shall keep its fingers off, so it should be a rather simple configuration operation once one knows about it.

  5. #5
    Junior Member voidxor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    I wouldn't call it a bug with today's ordinary uses. To me, it is rather a typical example of simplicity for most users becoming a hassle for some more technically oriented ones.
    Specifically, I meant that Network Manager is helpful to most users (who boot to the GUI). I only meant that it is unwelcome in Knoppix 2 (the text-mode). Since the default content of /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf that you pasted above doesn't have an obvious spot for a static IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway, I find /etc/network/interfaces to be the obvious way to establish a static IP address in text mode. Therefore, I don't welcome Network Manager when booted to text mode. Furthermore, I believe Knoppix 7's command line should behave as close to Knoppix 6's command line as possible. New features shouldn't break beloved commands.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by voidxor View Post
    Specifically, I meant that Network Manager is helpful to most users (who boot to the GUI). I only meant that it is unwelcome in Knoppix 2 (the text-mode). Since the default content of /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf that you pasted above doesn't have an obvious spot for a static IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway, I find /etc/network/interfaces to be the obvious way to establish a static IP address in text mode. Therefore, I don't welcome Network Manager when booted to text mode. Furthermore, I believe Knoppix 7's command line should behave as close to Knoppix 6's command line as possible. New features shouldn't break beloved commands.
    Yes, in your use situation, the case is pretty clear. But I can imagine that KK is rather reluctant to tie basic services to the graphical mode, which is why he has opted for a cheatcode off-switch instead. And when you have told networkmanager not to manage an interface, I would think the other configuration tools work or could relatively easily be made to do so.

    I completely agree with respect to command line behavior.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    22

    whether or not to use network-manager for static IPs

    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    Yes, in your use situation, the case is pretty clear. But I can imagine that KK is rather reluctant to tie basic services to the graphical mode, which is why he has opted for a cheatcode off-switch instead. And when you have told networkmanager not to manage an interface, I would think the other configuration tools work or could relatively easily be made to do so.

    I completely agree with respect to command line behavior.

    Network-Manager is a daemon that listens to interfaces statuses and selects a configuration based on wireless SSIDs or user interaction. It is not a graphical program by itself, but interacts with graphical user interfaces for control, as well as featuring a tiny commandline interface and controls over dbus, so it is quite flexible. By default, network-manager does a lot on its own, like trying DHCP as soon as you plug in a cable into the network card.

    Actually, network-manager should respect manual settings in /etc/network/interfaces, also in textmode. In fact, Knoppix contains a script that changes network-managers configuration entirely via /etc/network/interfaces for use in textmode:
    "knoppix-networkmanager".

    However, after changing /etc/network/interfaces manually, you need to restart network-manager in order for changes to take effect:

    sudo /etc/init.d/network-manager restart

    Do NOT use ifup/ifdown if network-manager is running. Network-manager will ignore the lock status of ifup/ifdown, while ifup/ifdown will ignore all settings done with network-managers own control programs.

    Using static IP addresses in network-manager works fine as long as there is a physical connection, but unfortunately, network-manager does not seem to keep the set IP address when there is no carrier signal on the network cable.

    If you want to use the command-line, you have the option of excluding an interface from being handled by network-manager:

    sudo nmcli dev disconnect iface eth0

    which makes network-manager stop listening on eth0 at all, so you can work with ifup/ifdown again if you are more used to these.

    Or just suspend network-manager:

    sudo /etc/init.d/network-manager stop

    (which is an alternative to using the "nonetworkmanager" cheatcode in Knoppix).

    Because of its user-friendly desktop integration in Gnome and KDE (and LXDE, too), most distros are using network-manager by default nowadays. For commandline experts who are used to configure everything manually via ifconfig and route, it's a little uneasy that a daemon is handling all the network stuff and will override manual settings (except in the aforementioned cases), I agree with that. So I would recommend just booting Knoppix with the "nonetworkmanager" option, or use the tricks above to revert to the non-automatic configuration behaviour.

    Regards
    -Klaus

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Microsoft Windows Server 2022 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key& picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2022 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key&

$69.90



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00