-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
voidxor
Specifically, I meant that Network Manager is helpful to most users (who boot to the GUI). I only meant that it is unwelcome in Knoppix 2 (the text-mode). Since the default content of /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf that you pasted above doesn't have an obvious spot for a static IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway, I find /etc/network/interfaces to be the obvious way to establish a static IP address in text mode. Therefore, I don't welcome Network Manager when booted to text mode. Furthermore, I believe Knoppix 7's command line should behave as close to Knoppix 6's command line as possible. New features shouldn't break beloved commands.
Yes, in your use situation, the case is pretty clear. But I can imagine that KK is rather reluctant to tie basic services to the graphical mode, which is why he has opted for a cheatcode off-switch instead. And when you have told networkmanager not to manage an interface, I would think the other configuration tools work or could relatively easily be made to do so.
I completely agree with respect to command line behavior.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800
$59.99

Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit
$199.97

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI
$44.00

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair
$323.75

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm
$48.95