Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Text-mode mounting of NTFS volume causes XAUTHORITY error

  1. #1
    Junior Member voidxor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    9

    Question Text-mode mounting of NTFS volume causes XAUTHORITY error

    I often boot to Knoppix 2 (the command-line). Up through Knoppix 6, I always mounted an NTFS volume first thing after getting to the command prompt:

    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/sda1
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 -t ntfs -v -o noatime,utf8
    Now, in Knoppix 7.0.5, on both the CD and DVD versions, I get the following error after attempting the mount:

    Code:
    No access to local display (XAUTHORITY=), exiting.
    Booting to the Knoppix GUI and performing the same commands from a terminal window works, but I can't see why I can't mount NTFS without the GUI. Am I missing something?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Just a question: Would it help if you first booted X, and from there ran init 2? (I wonder if that Xauthority stuff has ever been really sane.)
    Could seem like a bug to me, if the behavior is reproducible, in particular if it is fixed by bringing X up and down.
    BTW, if you do this same mounting every time, you might put it in rc.local - that's what I ususally do.

  3. #3
    Junior Member voidxor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    9
    After testing, I can confirm that the error occurs whenever I boot "knoppix 2", but never when I boot into the GUI, even after running "init 2" from a root terminal in the GUI. I expected "init 2" to close the GUI and kick me back to text mode (same as "knoppix 2"), but it didn't and had no visible effect whatsoever. I'm not convinced that "init 2" breaks XAUTHORITY after the GUI has already started. For now, I'm booting to the GUI and doing my business in a root terminal window. I would still love to get this fixed in text mode.

    As far as automating my mounts, I run Knoppix from a DVD in various Windows boxes that I maintain. So that is not an option for me, thanks though.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    At least, the old trick CTRL-ALT-F2 and CTRL-ALT-F5 works for switching back and forth between console and GUI.

    But the whole problem definitely displays a type of bug.

    Automating mounts: You could, of course do a remastering. If there is a workaround for this bug, remastering a patched DVD-version could be the best solution for you, in which case you could throw in any number of customizations.

  5. #5
    Junior Member voidxor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    At least, the old trick CTRL-ALT-F2 and CTRL-ALT-F5 works for switching back and forth between console and GUI.

    But the whole problem definitely displays a type of bug.

    Automating mounts: You could, of course do a remastering. If there is a workaround for this bug, remastering a patched DVD-version could be the best solution for you, in which case you could throw in any number of customizations.
    Agreed on all counts. Thanks for your help, Capricorny! Instead of remastering I've considered installing Knoppix to a USB thumb drive and customizing that. With that, I can still boot to it on multiple computers with different hardware configurations, just as I do with the DVD, right?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Booting different devices/configurations, surely yes. And using a USB drive with persistent store, you can tweak most settings without remastering. Myself, I have started to use a USB3 cabinet mounted SSD drive as kind of "generalized thuimb drive" - with proper USB3 ports, it gives performance close to an internat SATA disk, so I can use it for both maintenance/emergency work, backup and ordinary running.

  7. #7
    Junior Member voidxor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    9
    Update: I have solved my NTFS mounting troubles by switching to Debian Live Rescue.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    22

    Repaired

    Quote Originally Posted by voidxor View Post
    I often boot to Knoppix 2 (the command-line). Up through Knoppix 6, I always mounted an NTFS volume first thing after getting to the command prompt:

    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/sda1
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 -t ntfs -v -o noatime,utf8
    Now, in Knoppix 7.0.5, on both the CD and DVD versions, I get the following error after attempting the mount:

    Code:
    No access to local display (XAUTHORITY=), exiting.
    Booting to the Knoppix GUI and performing the same commands from a terminal window works, but I can't see why I can't mount NTFS without the GUI. Am I missing something?

    It's a bug. The wrapper script checks for a hibernating NTFS partition, which is dangerous to mount rw, since Windows will destroy data when waking up and ignoring all changes you made.

    In X mode, a graphical dialog will offer a few options in order to decide what to do next, while in textmode, it should just exit with an error message unless you specify the mount options manually. Unfortunately, the hadling of XAUTHORITY etc. was prior to checking for textmode, so it didn't work anymore on the console.

    Please install the fixed package from http://debian-knoppix.alioth.debian....mount-knoppix/ , or just call
    ntfs-3g.real instead.

    Regards
    -Klaus

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1
    Just experienced this error with 7.2.0 CD version when trying to mount an NTFS partition read-only (-o ro) in text mode.
    Is this a different problem, or has the fix not made it into the latest release?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



Intel Core i7-6900K SR2PB 8-Core 3.20GHz CPU LGA 2011 (Socket R) picture

Intel Core i7-6900K SR2PB 8-Core 3.20GHz CPU LGA 2011 (Socket R)

$60.00



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4 picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4

$279.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS picture

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS

$99.99



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00