Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Purging packages from the 7.0.5DVD, installing previous package selections

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    19

    Has anyone created a minimal 7.0.5? Willing to share?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    After having done a couple of 7.0.5 remasterings after different levels of purging, I think I have to warn, generally, against purging. Too many packages are removed, and worse still, reinstalling the dysfunctional programs doesn't always fix the problems. I have still not been able to get konqueror up and running, even with no extensive purging of KDE packages. This is a new problem, the same methods have worked fine on earlier Knoppix releases. It is also quite frustrating to have a system that seems to work well, but then suddenly something is broken, and the standard ways to fix it don't work. So, if KK would leave about a GB worth of space on the DVD (about the size of installed games), it would be very helpful to us who need to remaster to accomodate large extra installs. Purging used to be a safe and nice thing to do, I can't say it is anymore.
    I am one of those who have tried to pare Knoppix down to a minimal size, in order to then construct a customized, modular Knoppix using the ramdisk KNOPPIX 2-9 method. I might suggest, that a minimal Knoppix need only be created once and that anyone who has such a beast made from 7.0.5 and would share it would probably have the undying gratitude of those of us who are struggling with this.

    Along this line, is it possible to include the 64 bit kernel with the cd version in order to boot into 64-bit or are there other components necessary? Is it as simple as copying over the kernel file from the DVD? Creating a minimal version might be easier, starting from the smaller footprint cd, but no 64-bit is a non-starter for me.

    I appreciate any and all insights into this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by dwstarke View Post
    I am one of those who have tried to pare Knoppix down to a minimal size, in order to then construct a customized, modular Knoppix using the ramdisk KNOPPIX 2-9 method. I might suggest, that a minimal Knoppix need only be created once and that anyone who has such a beast made from 7.0.5 and would share it would probably have the undying gratitude of those of us who are struggling with this.

    Along this line, is it possible to include the 64 bit kernel with the cd version in order to boot into 64-bit or are there other components necessary? Is it as simple as copying over the kernel file from the DVD? Creating a minimal version might be easier, starting from the smaller footprint cd, but no 64-bit is a non-starter for me.

    I appreciate any and all insights into this.
    The only really safe way I know about, is debootstrap. Morphing that into a knxbootstrap would be very useful, but personally, I'm not going to try it now. I have found out that it is more fruitful to concentrate on squashfs remasterings and avoid that somewhat artificial 4GB limit. On my DVD-based system, package linux-image-3.6.11-64 is installed - have you tried to install that in a CD-based system? I have had some success running 64 bits in a chrooted debootstrap version.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.27



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$305.01



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99