when I "mark all upgrades" in synaptic, I get the above, which is surprising since the package is maintained by klaus knopper. I can I trust it for upgrade?
when I "mark all upgrades" in synaptic, I get the above, which is surprising since the package is maintained by klaus knopper. I can I trust it for upgrade?
Greetings, dunnthebum.
It is probably not a good idea to generally upgrade Knoppix, except by starting
over with a newly numbered distribution. For example, don't generally expect to
upgrade 705, wait for 706.
This is not to say that on an app by app basis these may be upgraded, just it
it is not a good idea to do so generally.
The basic reason is that Klaus K may mix different versions of Debian. He knows
what he's doing.
Otherwise, Synaptic can be your friend.
I'd probably start over with a clean install.
I don't purge things, I ignore them.
Avoids dependency hell problems.
YMMV
I'm a LiveUSB type. A new install is really fast for me.
You have a point, but with Klaus K the distrutor, and my need 98% met with the CD version,
I feel pretty safe. Safer than if I started 'pruning things'. I always get my dependencies screwed
up when I try that. No two people ever agree on a 'minimum' distro. Klaus K comes awfully
close to my selection with the Knoppix CD iso.
705 _IS_ the upgrade to 704. The work is all done for you.
New, late kernel and all its dependencies and unique patches.
Most apps upgraded to the latest.
Plus a completely new reiserfs option for persistence.
Soon after CeBIT in March will be yet another new Knoppix upgrade,
probably to 7.1 or so.
My advice, FWIW:
DO NOT try to 'further upgrade' by any means until you
get familiar with Klaus K's own upgrade cycle.
He's usually 'way ahead of most of us.
Selectively tinker with those areas you are yourself expert in, but not
the OS itself, is my advice unless your are yourself very OS-experienced.

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$59.99
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99
1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10
USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.27
LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80
Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$218.79
Lenovo 2TB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Metal Pendrive High Speed Data Storage
$10.10
Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00
128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99