-
Senior Member
registered user
Counting wifi disconnects
.
I use the measure count to define the frequency of wifi disconnect/reconnects.
count is defined as an alias in my /etc/profile, as follows:
Code:
alias count="date '+%h %e %H:%M:%S'; less /var/log/syslog > text; less text | fgrep restart; less text | fgrep -c disconnecting"
In practice, it works this way:
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ count
Jan 17 19:18:36
Jan 17 14:25:56 Microknoppix syslogd 1.5.0#6.2: restart.
30
Given these three lines I deduce I have had 30 disconnect/reconnects in the current session
which began at about 14:26. Doing the subtraction that seems to be about 292/30 or once in
9.7 minutes on average. I know the reconnect time is usually quite small, on the order
of two seconds, usually. I'm currently using g-mode on either router since this gives a
much better result with this measure of performance. my n-mode results are on the order
of less than a minute between disconnects, using this same measure. I conclude my g-mode is
preferable to my n-mode as things stand right now.
This approach requires /var/log/syslog which, using Knoppix7, may be partially observed with
control-alt-F12, but I don't know how to manipulate it as above without providing the actual
log. I do this by adding the following entry to /etc/syslog-knoppix.conf
just below the existing tty12 statement:
Code:
*.*;auth,authpriv.none /var/log/syslog
Use two tabs to provide the space between none and /var above.
This log is re-established at boot. So, the accumulation of this record is of no consequence
in using a LiveUSB which is never left on-line overnight or when not in use for any significant
time. Needless to say, if you don't reboot often as I do, you may want to consider how much
space is consumed by contiuously recording syslog.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS PromBlaster
$895.00

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer
$419.99

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1
$250.00

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$224.72

Vintage Microsoft Windows NT 3.51 Workstation 3.5 Floppy Big Box Complete No COA
$139.99

Vintage PCMCIA 2.1 E/IDE ATA/ATAPI Interface Card Adapter w/ Cable
$59.99

HP 5060-8359 8K solid state semiconducter memory HP 2100/1000 Vintage 1974
$135.36

Vintage Apple IIgs 3.5” & 5.25” Floppy Disk Drives A9M0106 A9M0107 Untested
$135.00

Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board.
$135.37

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00