-
Senior Member
registered user
Counting wifi disconnects
.
I use the measure count to define the frequency of wifi disconnect/reconnects.
count is defined as an alias in my /etc/profile, as follows:
Code:
alias count="date '+%h %e %H:%M:%S'; less /var/log/syslog > text; less text | fgrep restart; less text | fgrep -c disconnecting"
In practice, it works this way:
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ count
Jan 17 19:18:36
Jan 17 14:25:56 Microknoppix syslogd 1.5.0#6.2: restart.
30
Given these three lines I deduce I have had 30 disconnect/reconnects in the current session
which began at about 14:26. Doing the subtraction that seems to be about 292/30 or once in
9.7 minutes on average. I know the reconnect time is usually quite small, on the order
of two seconds, usually. I'm currently using g-mode on either router since this gives a
much better result with this measure of performance. my n-mode results are on the order
of less than a minute between disconnects, using this same measure. I conclude my g-mode is
preferable to my n-mode as things stand right now.
This approach requires /var/log/syslog which, using Knoppix7, may be partially observed with
control-alt-F12, but I don't know how to manipulate it as above without providing the actual
log. I do this by adding the following entry to /etc/syslog-knoppix.conf
just below the existing tty12 statement:
Code:
*.*;auth,authpriv.none /var/log/syslog
Use two tabs to provide the space between none and /var above.
This log is re-established at boot. So, the accumulation of this record is of no consequence
in using a LiveUSB which is never left on-line overnight or when not in use for any significant
time. Needless to say, if you don't reboot often as I do, you may want to consider how much
space is consumed by contiuously recording syslog.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch
$115.00

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99