-
Senior Member
registered user
Counting wifi disconnects
.
I use the measure count to define the frequency of wifi disconnect/reconnects.
count is defined as an alias in my /etc/profile, as follows:
Code:
alias count="date '+%h %e %H:%M:%S'; less /var/log/syslog > text; less text | fgrep restart; less text | fgrep -c disconnecting"
In practice, it works this way:
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ count
Jan 17 19:18:36
Jan 17 14:25:56 Microknoppix syslogd 1.5.0#6.2: restart.
30
Given these three lines I deduce I have had 30 disconnect/reconnects in the current session
which began at about 14:26. Doing the subtraction that seems to be about 292/30 or once in
9.7 minutes on average. I know the reconnect time is usually quite small, on the order
of two seconds, usually. I'm currently using g-mode on either router since this gives a
much better result with this measure of performance. my n-mode results are on the order
of less than a minute between disconnects, using this same measure. I conclude my g-mode is
preferable to my n-mode as things stand right now.
This approach requires /var/log/syslog which, using Knoppix7, may be partially observed with
control-alt-F12, but I don't know how to manipulate it as above without providing the actual
log. I do this by adding the following entry to /etc/syslog-knoppix.conf
just below the existing tty12 statement:
Code:
*.*;auth,authpriv.none /var/log/syslog
Use two tabs to provide the space between none and /var above.
This log is re-established at boot. So, the accumulation of this record is of no consequence
in using a LiveUSB which is never left on-line overnight or when not in use for any significant
time. Needless to say, if you don't reboot often as I do, you may want to consider how much
space is consumed by contiuously recording syslog.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM
$195.00

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3
$219.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$299.99

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset
$149.99

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset
$149.99