I played around enough to figure out that I'm supposed to be using this
knoppix-smbmount
As a replacement. Buy why does that necessitate removing smbmount? I tried to reinstall smbtools and found out that it's no longer compatible with the packages in the distro. Was that quite necessary?

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99
Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50
Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module
$89.00
CISCO SFP-10G-SR V03 10-2415-03 NEW SEALED
$39.99
Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40
New Open Box Lot of (5) Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10Gig Transceivers 10-3105-01
$84.99
Dell Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx CX4121C Dual 25GbE SFP28 LP | 20NJD
$25.00
HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99
HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001
$14.90
NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00