If you follow my description, you'll always have the correct time. The time is calculated by the instructions you can see in the files of '/usr/share/zoneinfo/'.I might still have a problem when we hit Daylight Savings time, ...
If you follow my description, you'll always have the correct time. The time is calculated by the instructions you can see in the files of '/usr/share/zoneinfo/'.I might still have a problem when we hit Daylight Savings time, ...
Well, I will read up on it and see what you are talking about. Thanks for all of the help. I still have a lot to learn, so, and time to learn it. Wish I had more time to spend reading this stuff, but, I have to do other things too. I really haven't figured out the Micro Re-Mastering, but, I suppose I will eventually. I will be posting other issues as well.
The process I am trying to implement is the most logical and generalised one, so please suggest something along the line.
The UNIX/ LINUX way is:
- always BIOS time = UTC
With Debian I use the crontab:
With dual boot Windows installation you have to register:Code:40 10,15,20 * * * /usr/sbin/ntpdate -v de.pool.ntp.org; /sbin/hwclock -u --systohc
Code:Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\↲ Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpClient] "SpecialPollInterval"=dword:00000e10 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\↲ CurrentVersion\DateTime\Servers] @="1" "1"="de.pool.ntp.org" "2"="time.nist.gov" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\↲ TimeZoneInformation] "RealTimeIsUniversal"=dword:00000001
Why configure crontab? My system automatically updates the time when I log in to the internet. The ntpdate client listens to the network time servers by itself.
I don't use windoze, so I would not be interested in its registry codes.
Okay, this is one thing that we have got to look into in Knoppix.
But that the BIOS is updated by ntpdate is absolutely confirmed. In doze, if you change time the BIOS time is affected too.
Why not?Why configure crontab?Why do you think so? From man ntpdate:But that the BIOS is updated by ntpdate is absolutely confirmed.ntpdate sets the local date and time by polling the Network Time Protocol (NTP) server(s) given as the server arguments to determine the correct time.
I am sorry, I should have been more elaborate. Actually, I have a localised system, as explained earlier. ntpdate sends that process the ntp data( time and date), and it localises the date time according to my settings(Asia/Kolkata) and rewrites the BIOS on that basis.
.
I have a nice Dell laptop which came equipped with Windows 7.
I rarely use Windows 7, but it allows the laptop to be very close
to 'Observatory time' since it syncs up my hardware clock with an
ntp server every time it IS used. I also corrects for daylight
savings time, if allowed a peek at the internet. The hardware
clock in question is set to local Eastern US time. I also set
my Knoppix desktop to local 12-hour am/pm format.
I don't use ntpdate or any other Knoppix time correction.
The consequences of this are two as far as I can tell.
1. The result of a date command will erroneously append UTC to
the otherwise very nearly correct local time.
2. There is a small error, currently about 15 seconds, which I
observe by occasionally checking against the USNO.
See: http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/simpletime.html.
If I wanted to tweak the small error, I could spend a few
minutes with Window 7.
If I wanted to tweak the erroneous UTC, I could use an alias
date="date | sed 's\UTC\EST\'" or date="date | sed 's\UTC\EDT\'"
I rarely find the need to do either.
Nor do I care to disturb my Windows 7 which works ok for what it is.
Please tell us the output fromCode:cat /proc/driver/rtc; date
- from Debian
- from Knoppix
My values are with Debian
with KnoppixCode:rtc_time : 07:38:25 rtc_date : 2013-01-28 alrm_time : 00:00:00 alrm_date : ****-**-** alarm_IRQ : no alrm_pending : no 24hr : yes periodic_IRQ : no update_IRQ : no HPET_emulated : yes DST_enable : no periodic_freq : 1024 batt_status : okay Mo 28. Jan 08:38:25 CET 2013Timezone for me is "Europe/Berlin"Code:cat /proc/driver/rtc; date rtc_time : 07:41:11 rtc_date : 2013-01-28 alrm_time : 00:00:00 alrm_date : 2013-01-29 alarm_IRQ : no alrm_pending : no update IRQ enabled : no periodic IRQ enabled : no periodic IRQ frequency : 1024 max user IRQ frequency : 64 24hr : yes periodic_IRQ : no update_IRQ : no HPET_emulated : no BCD : yes DST_enable : no periodic_freq : 1024 batt_status : okay Mon Jan 28 08:41:11 CET 2013

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR
$23.00
INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99
Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00
Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99
AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)
$59.00
Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$67.99
Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*
$32.99
LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5
$768.00
Intel SRF90 Xeon Gold 6248 2.50GHz 20 Core LGA 3647 Server CPU Processor
$55.99