Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: How to Start in Console Mode

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    101

    How to Start in Console Mode

    I'm trying to install Nvidia 4363 Driver. You have to go to
    Console mode to install.
    I tied inittab - setting runlevel to 1, had to use rescue disk
    to get knoppix to load again. Aklso tried runlevel 3 - but it just
    booted XFree86.
    Any help appreciated!

    Thanks...

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    101
    Ok - I got it to load Console mode.
    I went into Control Center>Login Manager and deselected
    auto login.

    Still have an problem, Nvidia 4363 driver could not build
    kernel.

    You appear to be compiling the NVIDIA kernel module with
    a compiler different from the one that was used to compile
    the running kernel. This may be perfectly fine, but there
    are cases where this can lead to unexpected behaviour and
    system crashes.

    One Nvidia install link said to do an CC=gcc2.95 , something like this. I did an gcc -v once before and it showed gcc 2.95 and gcc 3.2.3. It now shows only
    gcc 3.2.3.

    So, I guess I will have to find that command and set it to gcc 3.23.

    That's what I get for reading nividia_installer.log!

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCyberDude
    Ok - I got it to load Console mode.
    I went into Control Center>Login Manager and deselected
    auto login.

    Still have an problem, Nvidia 4363 driver could not build
    kernel.

    You appear to be compiling the NVIDIA kernel module with
    a compiler different from the one that was used to compile
    the running kernel. This may be perfectly fine, but there
    are cases where this can lead to unexpected behaviour and
    system crashes.

    One Nvidia install link said to do an CC=gcc2.95 , something like this. I did an gcc -v once before and it showed gcc 2.95 and gcc 3.2.3. It now shows only
    gcc 3.2.3.

    So, I guess I will have to find that command and set it to gcc 3.23.

    That's what I get for reading nividia_installer.log!
    I just did this last night, follow the instructions here except do not edit the /etc/modules just the aliases file and then run update-modules then when you restart you will see an Nvidia splash screen to tell you everthing went well.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: How to Start in Console Mode

    --I'm assuming you are hd-installed... When the LILO prompt comes up, you type ' linux 1 ' (or whatever the name for your default boot image is) to pass the runlevel.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCyberDude
    I'm trying to install Nvidia 4363 Driver. You have to go to
    Console mode to install.
    I tied inittab - setting runlevel to 1, had to use rescue disk
    to get knoppix to load again. Aklso tried runlevel 3 - but it just
    booted XFree86.
    Any help appreciated!

    Thanks...

Similar Threads

  1. Is there any way to start Knoppix on text mode?
    By xuejm1225 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-21-2004, 05:05 AM
  2. Getting to KDE from console
    By edlsoft in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-30-2004, 01:42 AM
  3. Starting in Console Mode
    By mpeters13 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2003, 12:45 PM
  4. I can't start graphical mode. Reply to this someone.
    By tnarg in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-08-2003, 10:55 PM
  5. problems in console mode
    By oracleman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-10-2003, 09:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99