Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: GNU gfortran compiler not in knoppix 7.0.5 distribution

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Schenectady , NY (USA)
    Posts
    7

    GNU gfortran compiler not in knoppix 7.0.5 distribution

    I am still using the Knoppix 5.3.1 DVD . It has many of the utilities I need ... Gnu gfortran, Gnu C, Nedit, Perl, gawk ...
    It is a nice environment to do some engineering programming in mixed fortran and C .

    I keep looking at the new Knoppix distributions , I see some interesting additions , it uses a newer Linux kernal , and there are newer verisons of existing packages .

    However , I do not see a fortran compiler listed. So, I go back and use 5.3.1 , mostly because it has gfortran .

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    And why do you not use Synaptic to install gfortran and so on?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Schenectady , NY (USA)
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    And why do you not use Synaptic to install gfortran and so on?
    Hello Werner,

    Up until now I have just been using Knoppix from the DVD , so 5.3.1 was practical for me.

    I have been doing scientific programming for years but never got into computer system administration . I just started looking through the tools with Knoppix 7.2 and decided to try to install Knoppix to a USB flash drive. I had no problems with that. I then created a 2gb knoppix-data.img file .

    Then , as you suggested , I used Synaptic . I did a refresh on the package list , which I had never done before. I looked through the updated list of packages and saw gfortran 4.7. I selected gfortran 4.7 from the updated list , did the download and install with no problems. gfortran 4.7 is working nicely.

    I did notice that gfortran 4.8 is available. However , when I selected gfortran 4.8 for download there was a red tag and indications that there is a problem with this package.

    Thank you and the others who have posted valuable information on the Knoppix forum.

    Regards,
    Ldot

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    If you really need gfortran-4.8 use "aptitude update". After this you can simulate the update with
    Code:
    aptitude install -s -t testing gfortran-4.8
    or
    aptitude install -s -t unstable gfortran-4.8
    If all looks well install it using the command without the parameter "-s".

    Make a backup of your persistent memory first!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A picture

Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A

$89.95



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q

$185.00



Micron 16GB (2x8GB) 2Rx8 DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800U Desktop RAM picture

Micron 16GB (2x8GB) 2Rx8 DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800U Desktop RAM

$19.99



Lot of 40 8GB DDR4 2133/2400 RAM Samsung Kingston SK Hynix Mixed Brands picture

Lot of 40 8GB DDR4 2133/2400 RAM Samsung Kingston SK Hynix Mixed Brands

$849.00



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00