Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: NVIDIA 64 bit + Knoppix64 not working

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    20
    Hey Klaus

    It has been 7 years since i installed the NVIDIA drivers with your help, but i've since installed AMD about a year ago, but now I need NVIDIA again, because the stupid AMD card burnt up lol, but the method you gave that worked before for NVIDIA, no longer works, this is what i'm getting now when I use your old instructions for DVD version 7.0.5...

    Code:
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo apt-get install nvidia-kernel-common/experimental nvidia-kernel-dkms/experimental nvidia-vdpau-driver/experimental glx-alternative-nvidia/experimental nvidia-glx/experimental glx-diversions/experimental xserver-xorg-video-nvidia/experimental nvidia-alternative/experimental nvidia-settings/experimental nvidia-xconfig/experimental libgl1-nvidia-alternatives/experimental libglx-nvidia-alternatives/experimental glx-alternative-mesa/experimental libgl1-nvidia-glx/experimental nvidia-installer-cleanup/experimental nvidia-support/experimental libxnvctrl0/experimental
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Release 'experimental' for 'nvidia-kernel-common' was not found
    E: Release 'experimental' for 'nvidia-kernel-dkms' was not found
    E: Release 'experimental' for 'nvidia-vdpau-driver' was not found
    E: Release 'experimental' for 'glx-alternative-nvidia' was not found
    E: Release 'experimental' for 'nvidia-glx' was not found
    E: Release 'experimental' for 'glx-diversions' was not found
    E: Release 'experimental' for 'xserver-xorg-video-nvidia' was not found
    E: Release 'experimental' for 'nvidia-alternative' was not found
    E: Release 'experimental' for 'nvidia-settings' was not found
    E: Release 'experimental' for 'nvidia-xconfig' was not found
    E: Unable to locate package libgl1-nvidia-alternatives
    E: Unable to locate package libglx-nvidia-alternatives
    E: Release 'experimental' for 'glx-alternative-mesa' was not found
    E: Release 'experimental' for 'libgl1-nvidia-glx' was not found
    E: Release 'experimental' for 'nvidia-installer-cleanup' was not found
    E: Release 'experimental' for 'nvidia-support' was not found
    E: Release 'experimental' for 'libxnvctrl0' was not found
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$
    It looks like the "Experimental" location no longer exists, or has changed to something else. Any Ideas? I also did the "sudo apt-get update" command first too. I'm using DVD version 8.2 now by the way.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    20
    I couldn't edit the previous post, so here's a new one.

    While waiting for a reply, I looked at the instructions you gave me 7 years ago, & decided to replace the word "experimental" with the word "buster", & ran the commands again. This is what Buster returned...

    Code:
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo apt-get install nvidia-kernel-common/buster nvidia-kernel-dkms/buster nvidia-vdpau-driver/buster glx-alternative-nvidia/buster nvidia-glx/buster glx-diversions/buster xserver-xorg-video-nvidia/buster nvidia-alternative/buster nvidia-settings/buster nvidia-xconfig/buster libgl1-nvidia-alternatives/buster libglx-nvidia-alternatives/buster glx-alternative-mesa/buster libgl1-nvidia-glx/buster nvidia-installer-cleanup/buster nvidia-support/buster libxnvctrl0/buster
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Release 'buster' for 'nvidia-kernel-dkms' was not found
    E: Release 'buster' for 'nvidia-glx' was not found
    E: Unable to locate package libgl1-nvidia-alternatives
    E: Unable to locate package libglx-nvidia-alternatives
    ...Only a few things missing. So... I tried replacing buster with sid, & this was the results...

    Code:
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo apt-get install nvidia-kernel-common/sid nvidia-kernel-dkms/sid nvidia-vdpau-driver/sid glx-alternative-nvidia/sid nvidia-glx/sid glx-diversions/sid xserver-xorg-video-nvidia/sid nvidia-alternative/sid nvidia-settings/sid nvidia-xconfig/sid libgl1-nvidia-alternatives/sid libglx-nvidia-alternatives/sid glx-alternative-mesa/sid libgl1-nvidia-glx/sid nvidia-installer-cleanup/sid nvidia-support/sid libxnvctrl0/sid
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Release 'sid' for 'nvidia-kernel-dkms' was not found
    E: Release 'sid' for 'nvidia-glx' was not found
    E: Unable to locate package libgl1-nvidia-alternatives
    E: Unable to locate package libglx-nvidia-alternatives
    E: Release 'sid' for 'libgl1-nvidia-glx' was not found
    ...this one was missing libgl1-nvidia-glx. So, I changed the word sid to stretch, & tried again...

    Code:
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo apt-get install nvidia-kernel-common/stretch nvidia-kernel-dkms/stretch nvidia-vdpau-driver/stretch glx-alternative-nvidia/stretch nvidia-glx/stretch glx-diversions/stretch xserver-xorg-video-nvidia/stretch nvidia-alternative/stretch nvidia-settings/stretch nvidia-xconfig/stretch libgl1-nvidia-alternatives/stretch libglx-nvidia-alternatives/stretch glx-alternative-mesa/stretch libgl1-nvidia-glx/stretch nvidia-installer-cleanup/stretch nvidia-support/stretch libxnvctrl0/stretch
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Release 'stretch' for 'nvidia-glx' was not found
    E: Unable to locate package libgl1-nvidia-alternatives
    E: Unable to locate package libglx-nvidia-alternatives
    This one had most things, but is still missing nvidia-glx, libgl1-nvidia-alternatives, & libglx-nvidia-alternatives. I'm stuck guys... I'm not a guru, & have no idea what to do next.

    Thanks for your help, as always.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    Hi DTeCH!

    I got an email from this site telling that you might need some assistance.

    The first thing I did when I read your message was to download an ISO image of the Knoppix version you are currently using.
    I prepared an USB Flash device with Knoppix 8.2.0 then.
    Now I have some time to investigate the situation.
    Knoppix 8.2.0 was built in 2018. It is based on Debian stable (stretch), testing (buster) and unstable (sid) with the Linux 4.12.7 kernel. There were some improvements since.
    In 2019 there was a public release of Knoppix 8.6.1 based on Debian stable (buster), testing (bullseye) and unstable (sid) with the Linux 5.3.5 kernel.
    You see Knoppix 8.2.0 uses the previous Version of the Debian Distribution.

    What kind of Nvidia GPU are you currently using? Nvidia sometimes removes older GPUs from the list of the supported Hardware.
    I have got a PC with an Nvidia 960 GTX graphics card and another one with an Nvidia 1060 GTX graphics card. Is this the hardware you intend to use?

    Regards
    Klaus2008

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    20
    Hey Klaus!

    No, the card that I'm using is an old one, it's the NVIDIA GeForce 6200 LE Made in 2005 i think. Here's my "Windows 7 Ultimate" picture of CPU-Z snapshot & card:




    Here's a bigger picture:



    It runs everything fine on windows, except for the bigger games as usual, & i think I ran it on this same Knoppix 8.2 before I installed AMD to replace it,
    & it ran fine... I think. I'm sure it did, i think. lol

    Anyway, the driver version installed for it on Windows 7 is 9.18.13.908 ( NVIDIA 309.08 ) Win7 64bit. According to the CPU-Z tool.

    It had to have worked because my Custom Dual GPU NVIDIA Card died a few years back, & the only card i had to use was the NVIDIA 6200 LE,
    & I have no memories of there ever being a problem to install NVIDIA ever since you showed me how to do it. I just came to this thread,
    copied your code, & ran it, then restarted, & everything was always good. I Use Knoppix a lot. I recently got an AMD card with more memory,
    so I installed that instead about a year ago, but it burnt up recently, so I'm back to the NVIDIA GeForce 6200 LE / 512MB for now.

    I must have broken something somewhere, or removed the drivers or something, because now, the card runs everything, but VERY VERY SLOWLY,
    & all the system animations each takes about 10 seconds to animate, as well as Youtube videos... SLOW & LAGGY, but the audio of the videos are fine,
    with no lags, & Also, I can't fine any NVIDIA configuration toos installed on the system anywhere, so I think I uninstalled them maybe?

    The only thing I have done differently now is, I haven't successfully run the code you gave me 7 years ago yet, the
    "Experimental" branch seems to have removed all those files now. Every other time I got to this point, I Just came back here, & ran your code,
    & everything was back to normal.
    Last edited by DTeCH; 04-09-2020 at 09:43 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 32GB RAM No Drives/OS Server picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 32GB RAM No Drives/OS Server

$292.50



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00