You can try "boot: knoppix vga=0 debug -b 3" from Cannot boot
I have a longstanding problem with Knoppix, which does not boot in my HCL laptop. I have tried versions from 5.0.1 to 7.0.4, but none can boot, either from CD/DVD or from hard drive using grub&cheatcode.
I don't know where it gets stuck.
Sure, a log file can tell.
But how to read that log file when the system can't boot? Can these operations be performed in a virtual machine, and is it then possible to read the log file?
This, I hope, is an interesting question, and I hope, will interest many.
Last edited by rajibando; 02-08-2013 at 09:36 AM. Reason: minor edit
You can try "boot: knoppix vga=0 debug -b 3" from Cannot boot
Note: Each time the message output stops, you can scroll some lines with "Shift PgUp/PgDown"
I should have written exactly where the script stops. Then the time wasted in above messages would have been saved. I am sorry. The script stops at init 5, just after displaying the Tux in Vitruvian pose. init 6 works, and shuts down the system.Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz
Read "Cannot boot" first!
Ok, try "boot: knoppix vga=0 debug -b 3" once more. You'll see messages
mounting /mnt-system
/KNOPPIX
/KNOPPIX-DATA
/UNIONFS
symlinks to UNIONFS
Final DEBUG Shell before starting init
At this point type
to enable logging in '/var/log/'. (Caution: us-keyboard!) Proceed withCode:mv /etc/syslog-knoppix.conf /etc/syslog-knoppix.orig
exit => Control D => init 5
Your Knoppix doesn't go on; therefore change with "Strg Alt F2" to the terminal and examine the logs at '/var/log/'. Perhaps you can find what is wrong with starting the GUI.
In case of HD Install: Don't forget to rename '/etc/syslog-knoppix.orig' to ' /etc/syslog-knoppix.conf'; otherwise your persistent memory has no more free space soon afterwards.
Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 03-27-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Which of the log files? there are two, xorg.0.log and pm-powersave.log!examine the logs at '/var/log/'.
It should not be xorg.0.log, since graphics is displayed alright! The console kit folder has one file that is readable.
The cups folder has 3 files that are readable.
The rest folders are empty.
I will nevertheless read them and get back. Please bear with me. Thanks/
Last edited by rajibando; 02-13-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Greetings, rajibando.
In Werner's post #6, the mv operation must be done as root to be effective.
Likewise, later you must restore the file as root.
If you issue the mv as knoppix and not as root, nothing happens.
The purpose of the original /etc/syslog-knoppix.conf is to disable most of
/var/log/ including syslog. Werner's post #6 tells us how to re-enable full
/var/log/ capability temporarily.
I expect /var/log/syslog may be what you want.
Dear Mr.Schulz,
I have attached the zipped file for Xorg.0.log.
http://knoppix.net/forum/attachment....1&d=1360772976
I hope you could find something there that would be of some help.
Maybe Nouveau driver is creating some problem?!
And greetings, Mr.Utu,
There is no file named /var/log/syslog
Thank you.
Last edited by rajibando; 02-13-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Are there not "messages" and "syslog"? Besides I have daemon.log and kern.log.

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99
AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00
SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99
Dell OptiPlex 7060 Intel Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 8GB RAM 256GB Windows 11 Pro FAST
$159.99
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4
$279.99
Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$464.99
Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00
AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99
Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00
Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS
$259.98