Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: How do I avoid entering cheat codes every time I use Knoppix USB live?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    44

    How do I avoid entering cheat codes every time I use Knoppix USB live?

    Hi, for more than one month I've been using Knoppix 7.0 DVD persistent on a pendrive, without major problems. But every time I log in I have to type "knoppix keyboard=es xkeyboard=es" because I communicate in English and Spanish, but have a Spanish keyboard. I don't use "lang=es" because I prefer OS messages to be in English. Is there some way to avoid this typing? I enter Knoppix several times per day because my machine is shared with my Windows-speaking family. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    44
    Micro-Remastering says "Boot options like "adriane" can easily be preset by changing '/mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg'". Please, @Werner, say me what may I do with syslinux.cfg and with the files in /mnt-system/boot/syslinux/ for being able to use my Spanish keyboard?

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Just now I've supplemented Micro Remastering
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 02-08-2013 at 11:39 AM.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    44
    Thanks, Werner, it works well!

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    17
    I've tried to use Micro Remastering to set my keyboard to 'uk' but there are multiple lines relating to the headings 'LABEL knoppix and KERNEL linux' in the the syslinux.cfg file. Is it enough to simply change the Default reference at the start of the file?

  7. #7
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Use only the APPEND line following the line with "LABEL Knoppix".
    Is it enough to simply change the Default reference at the start of the file?
    No, only the value of the first line is important! But Knoppix doesn't take care of the third line; therefore it isn't of no use to change something within the third line.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    17
    Thanks for that Werner.

    I should mention that I'm using Knoppix 7.0.5 with persistence and an encrypted overlay partition.

    The make sure that the "£@# characters are available in their customary positions I had to amend file /home/knoppix/Desktop/KNOPPIX/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg as follows:

    Part1

    LABEL knoppix
    KERNEL linux
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 lang=gb keyboard=gb vkeyboard=gb apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 tz=localtime


    Part2

    replace "lang=nn" with "lang=gb" throughout the file.

    Hope this helps any other Brits facing the same problem.

  9. #9
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Why do you think, Knoppix will take care of '/home/knoppix/Desktop/KNOPPIX/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg'?

    Use '/mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux,cfg'! Of course, you can do your locale settings throughout all the APPEND lines.

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    Why do you think, Knoppix will take care of '/home/knoppix/Desktop/KNOPPIX/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg'?

    Use '/mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux,cfg'! Of course, you can do your locale settings throughout all the APPEND lines.
    I checked out where syslinux.cfg was located using the file system gui and then used the same path in a terminal. However, I'll use your preferred path in future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD picture

BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD

$169.99



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



TerraMaster F2-210 2-Bay NAS Server Cloud Storage  picture

TerraMaster F2-210 2-Bay NAS Server Cloud Storage

$199.95



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99