Results 1 to 1 of 1

Thread: Thinking about Knoppix 7.1

Threaded View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    Thinking about Knoppix 7.1

    .
    Klaus K has hinted that he will bring out Knoppix 7.1 at CeBIT in March.
    That might mean we will see a 'community' version of 7.1 in April.
    So I've begun to think about how I will upgrade my Live USB from 7.0.5 to 7.1.

    In the past, I've made notes to guide a manual process or bringing things
    back to some home-grown standard set-up. I'm hoping to automate that more
    this time around. From my notes, I see that the difference between my own
    arrangement and the standard offering consists of three parts.
    1. Lots of stuff in /home/knoppix;
    2. A few tweaks in /etc & syslinux.cfg; and
    3. A few programs added through Synaptic.
    Werner helped me devise a small program to grab items 1 and 2 occasionaly
    as a small tgz backup on /mnt-system.

    For item 3, I notice the following:
    If I boot into my unmodified 7.0.5 LiveCD and let dpkg --get-selections > dpkg.705CD,
    then boot into my modified 7.0.5 LiveUSB and let dpkg --get-selections > dpkg.705USB,
    I can then make a comparison, looking for differences:
    Code:
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ comm -3 dpkg.705CD dpkg.705USB --nocheck-order > uncommon
    (-which looks like-)
        cabextract                    install
        flashplugin-nonfree                install
        geany                        install
        geany-common                    install
        gnome-system-log                install
        ttf-mscorefonts-installer            install
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$
    Which reminds me what I've added to the standard distribution, and presents only one
    small surprise with cabextract, which is probably part of the process of making
    a LiveUSB from a LiveCD.

    In which case, I'm not so sure any more automation is called-for,
    but I'm open to suggestions.
    Perhaps something along the line of dpkg --set-selections < uncommon.
    Last edited by utu; 02-17-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$169.99



Apple Mac Pro 5,1 • 8‑Core 2.26GHz • 14GB RAM • 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD Dual NVIDIA picture

Apple Mac Pro 5,1 • 8‑Core 2.26GHz • 14GB RAM • 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD Dual NVIDIA

$325.00



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex picture

Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex

$159.99



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor

$59.99



AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY picture

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY

$39.99



AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked picture

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked

$79.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Gen 2a 8-Core 5850U 1.90GHz 512GB SSD 16GB RAM - #252127 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Gen 2a 8-Core 5850U 1.90GHz 512GB SSD 16GB RAM - #252127

$275.00



Dell Precision 3561 8 Core i7 11th 16GB 512SSD NVIDIA Quadro T1200 W11 Grade A- picture

Dell Precision 3561 8 Core i7 11th 16GB 512SSD NVIDIA Quadro T1200 W11 Grade A-

$473.87