Results 1 to 1 of 1

Thread: Thinking about Knoppix 7.1

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    Thinking about Knoppix 7.1

    .
    Klaus K has hinted that he will bring out Knoppix 7.1 at CeBIT in March.
    That might mean we will see a 'community' version of 7.1 in April.
    So I've begun to think about how I will upgrade my Live USB from 7.0.5 to 7.1.

    In the past, I've made notes to guide a manual process or bringing things
    back to some home-grown standard set-up. I'm hoping to automate that more
    this time around. From my notes, I see that the difference between my own
    arrangement and the standard offering consists of three parts.
    1. Lots of stuff in /home/knoppix;
    2. A few tweaks in /etc & syslinux.cfg; and
    3. A few programs added through Synaptic.
    Werner helped me devise a small program to grab items 1 and 2 occasionaly
    as a small tgz backup on /mnt-system.

    For item 3, I notice the following:
    If I boot into my unmodified 7.0.5 LiveCD and let dpkg --get-selections > dpkg.705CD,
    then boot into my modified 7.0.5 LiveUSB and let dpkg --get-selections > dpkg.705USB,
    I can then make a comparison, looking for differences:
    Code:
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ comm -3 dpkg.705CD dpkg.705USB --nocheck-order > uncommon
    (-which looks like-)
        cabextract                    install
        flashplugin-nonfree                install
        geany                        install
        geany-common                    install
        gnome-system-log                install
        ttf-mscorefonts-installer            install
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$
    Which reminds me what I've added to the standard distribution, and presents only one
    small surprise with cabextract, which is probably part of the process of making
    a LiveUSB from a LiveCD.

    In which case, I'm not so sure any more automation is called-for,
    but I'm open to suggestions.
    Perhaps something along the line of dpkg --set-selections < uncommon.
    Last edited by utu; 02-17-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Timbuk2 Crossbody Messenger Bag Forest Green/ Black  Y2k USA Made picture

Vintage Timbuk2 Crossbody Messenger Bag Forest Green/ Black Y2k USA Made

$85.00



Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1 picture

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1

$250.00



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer picture

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer

$419.99



Vintage Cherry W. Germany G80-0486H/05 Mechanical 25-Pin D-Sub Keyboard M8 picture

Vintage Cherry W. Germany G80-0486H/05 Mechanical 25-Pin D-Sub Keyboard M8

$170.99



Vintage cross Apple computer branded pen rainbow logo In original box picture

Vintage cross Apple computer branded pen rainbow logo In original box

$100.00



Vintage Apple computer Cross Metal Ballpoint Pen Black Ink Gold Trim picture

Vintage Apple computer Cross Metal Ballpoint Pen Black Ink Gold Trim

$125.00



Lot 14 Vintage ISA VGA Video Cards Trident CHIPS UMC 8-Bit 16-Bit 286 386 486 picture

Lot 14 Vintage ISA VGA Video Cards Trident CHIPS UMC 8-Bit 16-Bit 286 386 486

$199.95



Vintage Microsoft Office 4.2 for Windows Original Floppy Disks & Manuals 1994 picture

Vintage Microsoft Office 4.2 for Windows Original Floppy Disks & Manuals 1994

$119.99



Vintage ISA Expansion Card Lot Async Serial I/O Printer Game RAM Untested picture

Vintage ISA Expansion Card Lot Async Serial I/O Printer Game RAM Untested

$107.29