Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: How to install to USB hdd?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Did you read Poor man's install?

  2. #2
    Senior Member otropogo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    Did you read Poor man's install?
    I have now, thanks, and the other two links as well. But I can't say I'm any wiser. In fact, I don't understand the instructions.

    For instance, it's not clear whether a poor man's install to a USB hard drive can be done just to a previously existing partition or not.

    And for another, it's not clear what I have to do to make it bootable. Right now I have a bootable Knoppix USB drive, but it's crippled because synaptic doesn't work. I have no idea why. Can I simply copy the Knoppix files over from the LiveDVD to fix things?

    Another unknown - at one point the wiki says that I can install a bootable Knoppix to an external hard drive partition simply by doing it from within the partition. How does that work? Do I have to try it blind and wait to see if it wipes my main hard drive or the entire external hard disk , or will the installer actually confirm that the installation will be made to, say, sdc2?

    The part about an installation to an external hard drive making for a faster running system doesn't make much sense to me either, unless you can boot from a Firewire800 or eSata port (can you?). If the drive has only a USB2.0 connection, it won't make any difference to speed compared to a Jumpdrive or flash card (unless those are extremely slow), because the USB2.0 port itself will be the bottleneck.

    If I have to use GRUB or some other boot manager to boot Knoppix from the external hard drive, I won't feel safe keeping any data on the drive, which would be a spectacular waste, as I don't have time to be backing up all the time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.72