.
A hidden user mount point directory .gvfs occurs in Knoppix's /home/knoppix when some programs
such as PCManFM are first activated. This hidden file must be taken into account for some operations
one might choose to perform.

One of the more clever approaches to handling this nuisance may be found at post #10 of
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...nied-gvfs.html

This approach takes care of removing .gvfs after its appearance on first using PCManFM
for one boot-up session. I've added this as a 'one-liner' to my /etc/profile. Rm.gvfs works only
when called by root; I use a root lxterminal for this command.

Code:
Rm.gvfs () { # Remove user mount directory .gvfs
umount /home/knoppix/.gvfs; find . -inum 554009 -exec rm{} \;; rm -rf .gvfs
}
Be careful making small changes on this command; even the punctuation is critical.
I am not aware what other programs may also cause the appearance of .gvfs.
If there are others, some revision of this approach may be necessary.