Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Knoppix live CD not working in Virtual PC

  1. #1

    Knoppix live CD not working in Virtual PC

    Here is a screenshot of what it looks like

    http://i.imgur.com/JXBYd.png

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Have a look at Cheatcodes. First of all try the Cheatcode

    knoppix testcd
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 03-04-2013 at 11:35 AM.

  3. #3
    without any boot commands, I get the menu come up but very fuzzy.

    knoppix nodrm <-- that removes the fuzzyness and also the menu.
    (ok no menu)

    and then it goes to a shell for about 15 seconds and then the GUI loads up.

    How do I stop the GUI loading up?

    gui still comes up if I do vga=0

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    I used the cheat code 'nofb' when I tried to use Knoppix 7 in the Virtual PC.
    Code:
    knoppix nofb
    Knoppix 7.0.0 from Linux Magazin (german) works. I had to issue
    Code:
    sudo modprobe snd-sb16
    in a terminal in order to get sound.

    Since Knoppix V 7.0.1 the network does not work anymore.

    Since Knoppix V 7.0.3 the virtual hard disk is not found anymore.

    @terapin:
    I would suggest that you try another virtual machine like VMware or VirtualBox if your CPU supports virtualization technology. There is also QEMU for windows.

    If you only want to boot into text mode (shell, runlevel 2) you could issue
    Code:
    knoppix nodrm 2
    But if you need WLAN you have to find a way to configure it via the command line.

  5. #5
    knoppix nofb nodrm 2 <-- boots into the shell and stays there(which is an improvement over the fuzzy gui). But it seems I get no Internet access.

    When I try sudo apt-get update, it says things like
    W: Failed to fetch http://security.debian.org/dists/updat.......
    Temporary failure resolving 'security.debian.org'.

    I am not using WLAN, just LAN(Wired). But it seems I don't have access to that, when within Virtual PC.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802

    Qemu-kvm is a simple alternative

    I have no problems running a Poor Man's Install of Knoppix 7.0.5 in qemu-kvm, booting with legacy grub from the drive I am actually running from (/dev/sda), but using another, unmounted partition (/dev/sda3, the running Knoppix instance is on /dev/sda1)

    Using the command line

    Code:
    sudo qemu -machine accel=kvm  -hda /dev/sda  -m 1024 &
    and then choosing the boot alternative on /dev/sda3. Network, mounting etc works.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$349.48



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99