Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Do I need to re-create /etc/fstab?

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Do I need to re-create /etc/fstab?

    Hi

    Could you fine chaps help me please.

    Got Knoppix distro 7.0.2, kernel release 3.3.7, on hard disk, on Acer Aspire
    5755G laptop.

    1. Here's a SUMMARY of what I'd like to find out thanks:

    a) I did a umount of a USB memory stick, which caused a crash. I think I need to
    create a new /etc/fstab because the one I've got, now has a remnant entry in it
    which I don't think should be there, and is causing a problem. My present
    /etc/fstab is:

    # DEFAULT BASE FSTAB, UNCONFIGURED
    proc /proc proc noauto 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
    /dev/sda6 / reiserfs relatime 0 0
    /dev/sda5 none swap defaults 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    noauto,users,exec 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1 vfat
    noauto,users,exec,umask=000,shortname=winnt,uid=kn oppix,gid=knoppix 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/sr0 /media/sr0 auto noauto,users,exec 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/sda2 /media/sda2 ntfs noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0
    0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0
    0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/sda3 /media/sda3 ntfs noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0
    0

    b) The lines which I don't think should be there are:

    # Added by KNOPPIX
    noauto,users,exec 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1 vfat
    noauto,users,exec,umask=000,shortname=winnt,uid=kn oppix,gid=knoppix 0 0

    c) SO (*** MAIN QUESTIONS ***):

    (i) AM I RIGHT ABOUT "b)"?
    (ii) DO I JUST NEED TO RE-CREATE /etc/fstab, AND IF SO HOW DO I DO THAT?
    (iii) BUT I THINK /etc/fstab IS GETTING THE INFO FOR LINE "/dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1
    vfat ..." FROM A FILE SOMEWHERE ON THE SYSTEM, BECAUSE THERE IS *NO* MEMORY
    STICK PRESENTLY IN ANY USB SLOT SINCE BOOT-UP (WHICH IS WHAT WOULD NORMALLY
    CAUSE THAT LINE TO BE THERE I BELIEVE). IF IT *IS* GETTING THE INFO FROM A
    FILE, HOW DO I FIX THAT PLEASE?
    (iv) I THINK THIS WHOLE ISSUE MAY HAVE CAUSED 15 NEW ENTRIES TO APPEAR IN /dev,
    IE /dev/sdb1 to sdb15. WHY IS THIS? AND DOES IT MATTER? (See 6.)


    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Full Details:

    2. a) I recently wiped (intentionally) the entire contents of a USB memory stick
    using the following method:

    b) Plugged 2Gb memory stick into a USB slot. I let the system detect and mount
    it. "mount" returned the following info:

    /dev/sdb1 on /media/sdb1 type reiserfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime)

    c) In a terminal I ran

    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb1

    This writes all zeros to the entire memory stick.

    d) I unmounted the stick with I believe

    umount /dev/sdb1

    But this caused the entire system to hang. Not even CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE or
    CTRL+ALT+DEL could make it respond. I realised that there was NO filesystem
    anymore on the stick to be actually unmounted.

    3. When I rebooted, in pcmanfm filemanager, at the left was a device icon
    labelled "sdb1", but there was NO memory stick plugged in any USB socket.
    "mount" gave the following info (which doesn't show "sdb1"):

    /dev/root on / type reiserfs (rw,relatime)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
    usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,relatime)
    tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=2097152k)
    udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=20480k)
    tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=2097152k)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=1777)

    4. Then I looked in /etc/fstab, which is shown at 1.a). I don't think the lines
    that I've shown at 1.b) should be in /etc/fstab. In particular, it looks as
    though it is the entry "/dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1 vfat ..." that is causing pcmanfm
    to think that such a device is present. But there is no memory stick (or
    anything else) plugged into any USB slot.

    5. So the umount that I did at 2.d) (and the crash) seems to have caused this
    situation.

    6. Also, I've noticed that in /dev there are 15 files (block devices) called
    /dev/sdb1 to sdb15. I seem to think that they weren't there before. In fact
    there seem to be a lot of other entries in /dev that I don't recall being there
    before, such as /dev/sdg1 to sdg15. Does this matter, and is it linked to the
    umount crash?

    7. I would be everso grateful if you could suggest possible answers to my
    questions at 1.c).

    Many thanks. John

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    You can delete all the entries "# Added by KNOPPIX" and reboot. After reboot, Knoppix will recollect proper entries for '/etc/fstab'.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$49.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99