Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: VirtualBox in Knoppix 7.0.5 can't run rhel_6.0 x86_64 iso

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mysore, India
    Posts
    275

    VirtualBox in Knoppix 7.0.5 can't run rhel_6.0 x86_64 iso

    Just as I have said, VirtualBox in Knoppix 7.0.5 can't run rhel_6.0 x86_64 iso. It stops with message:
    This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU. Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.
    Now, I have a x86-64 CPU as the hardinfo report states. But still, the problem in identification. Is there anything wrong with the kernel? The same message appears in Knoppix VirtualBox.
    The same happens with Squeeze 6.0.3, and I have posted the same message with appropriate changes in the Debian Forum, with the subject, VirtualBox in Squeeze 6.0.3 can't run rhel_6.0 x86_64 iso

    Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802

    Usually you need a full 64 bit system to run 64-bit VMs

    Quote Originally Posted by rajibando View Post
    .....
    Now, I have a x86-64 CPU as the hardinfo report states. But still, the problem in identification. Is there anything wrong with the kernel? The same message appears in Knoppix VirtualBox.
    The same happens with Squeeze 6.0.3, and I have posted the same message with appropriate changes in the Debian Forum, with the subject, VirtualBox in Squeeze 6.0.3 can't run rhel_6.0 x86_64 iso
    .....
    Knoppix is a 32-bits Linux distro, using 64-bits kernel as an option. Most virtualization software needs a full 64-bits host system to run 64-bits guests (including Knoppix with 64-bits kernel ) . To achieve this with Knoppix, there are two ways that I know of, and have used:
    1) Create a pure 64-bits version.
    2) Chroot into a minimal 64-bits install and run virtualization software there.

    I wouldn't try #1 with Knoppix 7.0.5. But #2 has been quite useful.
    I haven't tried with Virtualbox, but qemu/kvm and vmware workstationhave both worked this way for me. If you have tried and run into problems with 64-bits Squeeze 6.0.3, it may have other reasons.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mysore, India
    Posts
    275

    Regarding chroot

    I have a minor reading disability which hinders me from reading too much and using Character User Interface rather than Graphical User Interface.
    What is chroot? I googled and found these two pages:
    (1) http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...chroot-754883/
    (2) http://bhavesh.freeshell.org/blog/linux/909090.html
    Didn't understand beyond a point.
    Wikipedia says:
    After mounting the live CD's filesystem, software on the live CD can be run directly (I.e., without booting) by chrooting into the live CD's mounted filesystem
    Then I read chroot from wikipedia, and that's about it. Then, catch22 situation.
    I am also a bit dumb because I can't understand apparently simple explanations.
    Regards
    Last edited by rajibando; 04-09-2013 at 08:30 AM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Chroot means that you use another directory than / for root directory. Which in effect implies (among other things) that you will use all the system routines, libraries etc in the new directory structure rather than the original ones. If you think this may be problematic, you are quite right. If, however, the new routines are compatible with the host system, like substituting 64-bits libraries for 32-bits when the kernel runs 64 bits anyway, as with Knoppix, things may work out quite well.

    I have written about it in this thread:
    http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/299...in-Knoppix-7.X

    It worked for me then, but I haven't tested it thoroughly.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mysore, India
    Posts
    275

    Optional 64-bit Kernel via boot option "knoppix64"

    Dear Capricorny,
    I have observed that you are very patient, especially with people fidgety like I am. Thank you. The <a href ="http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix705-en.html"> Knoppix 7.0.5 </a> page contains the above subject line. Please guide. I regularly (nearly exclusively) use cloop with Knoppix to get all my work done.
    The cloop line in my grub menu is:
    menuentry "Knoppix cloop" {
    echo 1
    echo 2
    linux (hd0,x)/boot/isolinux/linux root=/dev/ram rw ramdisk_size=100000 lang=us apm=power-off nomce xmodule=fbdev tz=/Asia/Kolkata
    echo 3
    initrd (hd0,x)/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
    My question is: Where do I write "knoppix64" ?
    Last edited by rajibando; 04-09-2013 at 09:31 AM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Here are the two entries in legacy grub's menu.lst I use for the versien I am currently running:

    Code:
    title Knoppix 7.0.5r2 64 bits DVD cloop version  sda2 
          kernel (hd0,2)/boot/knx705/linux64 fromhd=/dev/sda2 knoppix_dir=KNOPPIX705_clr2 nosound keyboard=no ramdisk_size=100000 lang=no apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 tz=localtime
          initrd (hd0,2)/boot/knx705/minirt.gz
    
    title Knoppix 7.0.5r2 32 bits DVD cloop version  sda2 
          kernel (hd0,2)/boot/knx705/linux fromhd=/dev/sda2 knoppix_dir=KNOPPIX705_clr2 nosound keyboard=no ramdisk_size=100000 lang=no apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 tz=localtime
          initrd (hd0,2)/boot/knx705/minirt.gz
    To get 64-bits kernel, I use the linux64 kernel.

    The most important other options used here:

    * Booting from a separate partition that is nomally not mounted (/dev/sda3 = (hd0,2) for legacy grub )
    * Using a separate boot subdirectory (/media/sda3/boot/knx705) for the Knoppix 705 files
    * Using the main Windows partition for Knoppix system (/dev/sda2)
    * Using KNOPPIX705_clr2 as Knoppix-dir instead of KNOPPIX (Denotes cloop remastering #2 of 7.0.5)

    For experimentation, entries for other Knoppix subdirectories, other kernels other minirt versions etc can be added.

    How to work with other bootloaders - i don't exactly know.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mysore, India
    Posts
    275
    Ah!... Now I got it, it's Linux64, not Knoppix64! Really, highly knowledgeable people don't tend to go back to what they have written! And mere mortals like us die of choking in the water bucket!

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by rajibando View Post
    Ah!... Now I got it, it's Linux64, not Knoppix64! Really, highly knowledgeable people don't tend to go back to what they have written! And mere mortals like us die of choking in the water bucket!
    Yes, it can be really confusing - knoppix64 is the name of a standard option in the default CD/DVD/USB booting of Knoppix. Those options can be edited/added in "micro-remastering". Using grub, we refer to the actual booting files. (I think that applies for all grubs, but I only use legacy so far.) Good luck

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mysore, India
    Posts
    275

    Please follow the link for solution to this post

    The following link explains the reason why the emulation does not happen, thanks to able and patieint guidance by the Debian forum members pdespite my dumbheadedness. http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.p...103157&start=1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth picture

Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth

$49.95



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



LOT OF 10 - Cisco CP-8841-3PW-NA-K9 IP Phone 8841 MPP Multiplatform VoIP picture

LOT OF 10 - Cisco CP-8841-3PW-NA-K9 IP Phone 8841 MPP Multiplatform VoIP

$69.99



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included picture

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included

$27.99



Yealink SIP Phone T85W picture

Yealink SIP Phone T85W

$153.99