Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: How to make files writable

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3

    How to make files writable

    I just installed Knoppix 7.0.5 on a Latitude D600 laptop. I have never installed a Linux distro before that didn't have write permissions for the user.

    How do I fix this so I can move/delete/modify files?

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    How do I fix this so I can move/delete/modify files?
    Pleas tell us in detail what do you mean by this. Which files? Which folders?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3
    All files. Everything. I understand why the file system would be read only when running from the livecd, but I installed Knoppix to my hard drive and I need write privileges.

    Also, Iceweasel worked from the livecd but it won't launch from the HD install. It says it's already running, but 'top' doesn't show any running processes for mozilla. I read that deleting the ~.mozilla folder might fix this but I am unable to delete it without write privileges.

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Please tell us the output from
    Code:
    ls -la /home/knoppix/.mozilla

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3
    I reinstalled Knoppix 7.0.5 and now the file system is writable and Iceweasel is working. I'm not sure what I did different, but I'm good now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor picture

Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor

$79.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13  3.0 GHz  Desktop CPU picture

Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13 3.0 GHz Desktop CPU

$80.00



(USED) AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 100-100000910WOF AM5 CPU Processor Box Not Included picture

(USED) AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 100-100000910WOF AM5 CPU Processor Box Not Included

$259.99



AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 3.3GHz 6-Core 12-Thread AM4 Desktop CPU Processor Tested picture

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 3.3GHz 6-Core 12-Thread AM4 Desktop CPU Processor Tested

$54.50



Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0 picture

Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0

$38.00



Intel Core i5-8400T 1.7 GHz LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SR3X6 picture

Intel Core i5-8400T 1.7 GHz LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SR3X6

$28.99