Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: How to make files writable

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3

    How to make files writable

    I just installed Knoppix 7.0.5 on a Latitude D600 laptop. I have never installed a Linux distro before that didn't have write permissions for the user.

    How do I fix this so I can move/delete/modify files?

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    How do I fix this so I can move/delete/modify files?
    Pleas tell us in detail what do you mean by this. Which files? Which folders?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3
    All files. Everything. I understand why the file system would be read only when running from the livecd, but I installed Knoppix to my hard drive and I need write privileges.

    Also, Iceweasel worked from the livecd but it won't launch from the HD install. It says it's already running, but 'top' doesn't show any running processes for mozilla. I read that deleting the ~.mozilla folder might fix this but I am unable to delete it without write privileges.

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Please tell us the output from
    Code:
    ls -la /home/knoppix/.mozilla

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3
    I reinstalled Knoppix 7.0.5 and now the file system is writable and Iceweasel is working. I'm not sure what I did different, but I'm good now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16

Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core Ultra 5 Proces...

$749.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo Yoga 11e Gen 5 2-in-1 Touchscreen 11

Lenovo Yoga 11e Gen 5 2-in-1 Touchscreen 11" HD Laptop 4GB 128GB SSD Windows 11

$99.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.6

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.6" Full HD Laptop - Intel Processor N355 2025- 8G...

$349.99



Lenovo IdeaPad 5 2-in-1 16

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 2-in-1 16" WUXGA Touch Ryzen 7 8845HS 16GB 512GB SSD FPReader

$571.00



Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core i5-1135G7@2.40GHz Laptop picture

Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop

$259.25



Lenovo Thinkbook 15 G2, i5 1135G7, 256GB, 8GB, 20VE003GUS no OS, Iris Xe, 15.6

Lenovo Thinkbook 15 G2, i5 1135G7, 256GB, 8GB, 20VE003GUS no OS, Iris Xe, 15.6"

$200.00