Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: How to make files writable

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3

    How to make files writable

    I just installed Knoppix 7.0.5 on a Latitude D600 laptop. I have never installed a Linux distro before that didn't have write permissions for the user.

    How do I fix this so I can move/delete/modify files?

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    How do I fix this so I can move/delete/modify files?
    Pleas tell us in detail what do you mean by this. Which files? Which folders?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3
    All files. Everything. I understand why the file system would be read only when running from the livecd, but I installed Knoppix to my hard drive and I need write privileges.

    Also, Iceweasel worked from the livecd but it won't launch from the HD install. It says it's already running, but 'top' doesn't show any running processes for mozilla. I read that deleting the ~.mozilla folder might fix this but I am unable to delete it without write privileges.

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Please tell us the output from
    Code:
    ls -la /home/knoppix/.mozilla

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3
    I reinstalled Knoppix 7.0.5 and now the file system is writable and Iceweasel is working. I'm not sure what I did different, but I'm good now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK hynix 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RA0-10 Server Memory Ram HMA42GR7MFR4N-TF picture

SK hynix 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RA0-10 Server Memory Ram HMA42GR7MFR4N-TF

$57.99



Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW picture

Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW

$1.39



ADATA DDR4 RAM 2666MHZ 16GB (2x8) TESTED WORKING picture

ADATA DDR4 RAM 2666MHZ 16GB (2x8) TESTED WORKING

$50.00



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Kingston 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2400T-RB1-11 ECC REG Server Memory HP24D4R7D4MAM-32 picture

Kingston 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2400T-RB1-11 ECC REG Server Memory HP24D4R7D4MAM-32

$140.00



Lot 4 Samsung 64gb PC4-25600 2Rx4 DDR4-3200AA ECC RDIMM Reg Server Memory RAM picture

Lot 4 Samsung 64gb PC4-25600 2Rx4 DDR4-3200AA ECC RDIMM Reg Server Memory RAM

$2649.00



SK Hynix 8GB 1RX4 PC4-2133P-RC0-10 Registered Server RAM HMA41GR7MFR4N-TF TD AB picture

SK Hynix 8GB 1RX4 PC4-2133P-RC0-10 Registered Server RAM HMA41GR7MFR4N-TF TD AB

$34.99



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98