Look at http://linux.die.net/man/8/depmod and tryShould I be able to download and install a modules.dep? Is it platform-dependent?Code:sudo depmod -a 2.6.19
Hi! I'm working on a system which has an embedded PowerPC and Microknoppix (kernel version 2.6.19).
I need to get it to work with a USB device which has some kind of USB-Serial converter chip in it. The manufacturer's website gives the following instructions for Linux:
To load the generic USBSerial driver, enter the following string:
modprobe usbserial vendor=0x213e product=0x000a
However, I get the following error:
FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.19/modules.dep: No such file or directory
Here is the listing of /lib/modules:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12415 Sep 7 2007 ccduevent.ko
-rw-r--r-- 1 500 ccdu 23410 Nov 14 2008 i2c-core.ko
-rw-r--r-- 1 500 ccdu 10107 Nov 14 2008 i2c-dev.ko
-rw-r--r-- 1 500 ccdu 7932 Nov 14 2008 i2c-mpc.ko
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 107572 Jun 29 2007 jffs2.ko
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6290 Jun 4 2007 wdog83xx.ko
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 20852 Jun 29 2007 zlib_deflate.ko
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 16092 Jun 29 2007 zlib_inflate.ko
So I guess that modules.dep should tell modprobe what it needs and where to find it, and that it has been left out of this Microknoppix version to save space. Am I on the right track?
Should I be able to download and install a modules.dep? Is it platform-dependent?
Or, should I be going about this another way?
The USB device should create a virtual com port, which (in theory) I can open from my C program like a normal serial port. If that works I will be very happy as i can get back to writing code (the real work!).
All I know about the USB part of the device is that it is "vendor=0x213e product=0x000a". However, I can't find any info on this vendor or product with Google.
Any suggestions, including suggestions of any other forums where this question might be more appropriate, would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.
Look at http://linux.die.net/man/8/depmod and tryShould I be able to download and install a modules.dep? Is it platform-dependent?Code:sudo depmod -a 2.6.19
Thanks! I had to create /lib/modules/2.6.19/ but then it worked. However, now when I run modprobe I get the error:
FATAL: Module usbserial not found.
I guess I have to face the fact that this kernel doesn't have USB-Serial support built in. I've been trying to compile a module as I have some source code for a driver for the specific device, but cross-platform kernel module compilation is a bit beyond me...

Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra
$120.00
🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP
$299.99
🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE
$249.00
Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99
Epson Card 486D4 Single Board Computer Card PCMCIA Vintage Industrial
$906.39
Osborne Vintage Computer CP/M User Guide Thom Hogan & Software User Manuals Lot
$45.00
Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95
Vintage Intel Pentium Pro CPU Lot 3 Gold Ceramic Processors + 2 RAM Untested
$249.99
HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$224.72
Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board.
$135.37