Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 32 bit installed not 64 bit

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    West Suburb Chicago
    Posts
    33

    32 bit installed not 64 bit

    I got the knoppix latest version. Booted with knoppix64 from DVD. uname shows
    that it is using the 64 bit version. Cool. Installed to hard drive, but it installs 32 bit?
    I installed it to an SSD drive which makes it very fast, but not all of the memory is
    recognized.

    Another thing is that version 7 doesn't allow the Browse for smb printers. Version 6
    works perfectly and finds my XP host and printer. Everything is good with that.

    Wireless detected perfectly in knoppix 7. How do I get rid of the exploding windows
    when they close. I cannot find out how to change that. It should be an easy right?

    Thanks - you guys are all great. Gals too.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by fenzda View Post
    How do I get rid of the exploding windows
    when they close?
    Main Menu>Preferences>CompizConfuguration..>Effects>Ani mations Add-on[x]
    Uncheck this option.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    West Suburb Chicago
    Posts
    33
    Thank you so much. Could not find it!!

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    West Suburb Chicago
    Posts
    33
    I tried to boot with a DVD and knoppix64 fromhd=/dev/sda. It is looking for a usb. sda is the hard drive. How would I
    get it to see the hard drive. It also says my SSD is not partitioned. I thought I did that when installed it to the hard drive.
    Hmmm. I think if I tried to use gpart I would lose all my data. No big deal, since I can start over if needed.

  5. #5
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    What happens if you try
    Code:
    knoppix fromhd=/dev/sda1
    What is the output from
    Code:
    blkid
    and
    Code:
    fdisk -l

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    West Suburb Chicago
    Posts
    33
    Thanks Werner!

    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# blkid:

    /dev/zram0: UUID="3e104d0a-d92e-44bb-b375-02cbb0259263" TYPE="swap"
    /dev/sda1: UUID="0d71ae1b-0b47-4a51-b158-c5911839c787" TYPE="swap"
    /dev/sda2: UUID="b65f0041-e743-41f4-94a2-6496dfbcae97" TYPE="reiserfs"
    /dev/sr0: LABEL="KNOPPIX" TYPE="iso9660"

    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# fdisk -l

    Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders, total 234441648 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 1 2104514 1052257 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda2 * 2104515 234436544 116166015 83 Linux

    knoppix fromhd=/dev/sda2 looks for usb??

    If I put knoppix64 on a usb it works. Not so much a hard drive.

  7. #7
    Go to /boot and copy vmlinuz-3.6.11-64 into vmlinuz and it will default to the 64 bit kernel on boot.

  8. #8
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Code:
    knoppix fromhd=/dev/sda2
    looks for usb??
    No, it looks for a Poor man's install - no matter whether this install is on an internal harddrive, external USB drive or USB stick. You only have to know the right partition name and number at boot time.
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 05-01-2013 at 10:36 AM.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    West Suburb Chicago
    Posts
    33
    Thanks so much Werner. Works. So easy!

    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# uname -r
    3.4.9-64

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Intel Xeon Platinum 8268 2.9GHz 24-Core FCLGA3647 Processor | SRF95 picture

Intel Xeon Platinum 8268 2.9GHz 24-Core FCLGA3647 Processor | SRF95

$119.99



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$354.48



Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km picture

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km

$15.99



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600  Win 10 picture

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10

$109.99