-
Knoppix 7.2 USB Flash Installer issue
Knoppix 7.2 (CD EN) works nicely on both my Dell Inspiron 530 and Acer Aspire netbook.
The USB Flash Installer produces a flash drive that will boot the Acer, but which fails on the Dell.
Procedure: Booted CD Knoppix live on Dell. Invoked the Flash Installer and it wrote the 8 GB flash. When I booted the Dell and selected the flash drive, the Dell BIOS reported it as "USB-ZIP0" and gave "Boot error" when I tried to boot it. (Same with either the "p" or "i" options for overlay.)
I then booted the same flash drive successfully on the Acer netbook. The Acer BIOS saw it as "USB HDD".
This Dell BIOS is notoriously picky about flash drive formats, but I am running the latest BIOS. I have never successfully booted a USB-ZIP flash drive on the Dell.
I then tried using the same procedure I use to create bootable CrunchBang linux flash drives for the Dell. Dell BIOS reported seeing it as "USB-HDD0" but gave "No boot device available"
Here's how I wrote the flash device --
Code:
root@Dell:/home/xxx/iso/KNOPPIX_V7.2.0CD-2013-06-16-EN# ls *.iso
KNOPPIX_V7.2.0CD-2013-06-16-EN.iso
root@Dell:/home/xxx/iso/KNOPPIX_V7.2.0CD-2013-06-16-EN# dd if=KNOPPIX_V7.2.0CD-2013-06-16-EN.iso of=/dev/sdc bs=4M;sync
175+1 records in
175+1 records out
734937088 bytes (735 MB) copied, 94.0435 s, 7.8 MB/s
root@Dell:/home/xxx/iso/KNOPPIX_V7.2.0CD-2013-06-16-EN#
Suggestions as to how I might create a bootable Knoppix 7.2 USB drive for my Dell?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB
$69.99

ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series
$235.99

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK
$154.99