Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How to find a file using Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7

    How to find a file using Knoppix

    I've got the «C:\windows\system32\config\system file is missing or corrupt» message and tried to restore the registry files it using Knoppix, i.e. copying the files in the SNAPSHOT file (REGISTRY_MACHINE_...) and paste them in the CONFIG folder. It seems I made a mistake because the REGISTRY_MACHINE_ files do not appear in the CONFIG folder. However, when I try to copy them again, I get the message that files with the same name do already exist and whether I want to overwrite them. I am using Knoppix v6.7.1. I do not see a 'find file' option in Knoppix? Any suggestions as to how I can search for and find them? Please, bear in mind my knowledge is very, very basic.
    Thank you in advance for your help and look forward to your reply.

    Gart
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 05-30-2013 at 08:57 PM. Reason: broken smiley link

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7
    I see nobody has replied to my query. Perhaps somebody could help with the following: I have found a folder by the name ERDNT. How can I use it to restore the registry? I hope my question makes sense (my knowledge is quite basic).

    Thanks in advance for your help!

    Garval

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Within Knoppix 7.05 there is a searchtool at "Accessories/ Search for files".

    Have a look at http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt
    about ERDNT. Be aware: you can only restore your registry with ERUNT if you did a backup of the registry the last days.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7
    What do you mean by "last days"?

  5. #5
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    If you did a backup of the registry with ERUNT month or years ago, it doesn't make sense to repair the registry with such old stuff.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7
    Thanks. I really appreciate your help.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7
    1. I have downloaded KNOPPIX_V7.0.5CD-2012-12-21-EN and do not see "search for files" under accessories. It only shows: File Manager PCManFM, Image Viewer, Leafpad, LXTerminal, Root Terminal, Screenshot, Xarchiver and Xournal
    2. I have found C:/WINDOWS/ERDNT/AutoBackup It dates back to 29/05/2013

  8. #8
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    ad 1) This tool is only within the DVD-version of Knoppix. But you can open a terminal (3. icon from left) and type
    Code:
    su
    aptitude update
    aptitude install gnome-search-tool
    But this tool is gone away after shutdown of the CD-session. I suggest to do a Flash disk Install first and after this download gnome-search-tool within your flash disk installation to an USB stick. For CD version of Knoppix you need at least a 1GB USB stick, better a 4GB stick

    aad 2) Have a look at the link I told you about how to handle with ERUNT and the files you'll get within the ERDNT folder.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    127
    Thanks - the accessories "Search for files" seems to work much better than the Tools / Find Files option in File Manager PCManFM. It would be great if PCManFM used the Accessories Search for Files.

    Thanks for pointing out the Accessories search.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD. picture

IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD.

$629.99



Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852 picture

Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852

$559.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$200.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$149.99



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER picture

IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER

$349.99



IBM System S822 Dual Socket Server Motherboard W/Cage FRU P/N: 74Y4343 Tested picture

IBM System S822 Dual Socket Server Motherboard W/Cage FRU P/N: 74Y4343 Tested

$499.99



Ibm Computer Tower picture

Ibm Computer Tower

$400.00