-
How to find a file using Knoppix
I've got the «C:\windows\system32\config\system file is missing or corrupt» message and tried to restore the registry files it using Knoppix, i.e. copying the files in the SNAPSHOT file (REGISTRY_MACHINE_...) and paste them in the CONFIG folder. It seems I made a mistake because the REGISTRY_MACHINE_ files do not appear in the CONFIG folder. However, when I try to copy them again, I get the message that files with the same name do already exist and whether I want to overwrite them. I am using Knoppix v6.7.1. I do not see a 'find file' option in Knoppix? Any suggestions as to how I can search for and find them? Please, bear in mind my knowledge is very, very basic.
Thank you in advance for your help and look forward to your reply.
Gart
Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 05-30-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Reason: broken smiley link
-
I see nobody has replied to my query. Perhaps somebody could help with the following: I have found a folder by the name ERDNT. How can I use it to restore the registry? I hope my question makes sense (my knowledge is quite basic).
Thanks in advance for your help!
Garval
-
Within Knoppix 7.05 there is a searchtool at "Accessories/ Search for files".
Have a look at http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt
about ERDNT. Be aware: you can only restore your registry with ERUNT if you did a backup of the registry the last days.
-
What do you mean by "last days"?
-
If you did a backup of the registry with ERUNT month or years ago, it doesn't make sense to repair the registry with such old stuff.
-
Thanks. I really appreciate your help.
-
1. I have downloaded KNOPPIX_V7.0.5CD-2012-12-21-EN and do not see "search for files" under accessories. It only shows: File Manager PCManFM, Image Viewer, Leafpad, LXTerminal, Root Terminal, Screenshot, Xarchiver and Xournal
2. I have found C:/WINDOWS/ERDNT/AutoBackup It dates back to 29/05/2013
-
ad 1) This tool is only within the DVD-version of Knoppix. But you can open a terminal (3. icon from left) and type
Code:
su
aptitude update
aptitude install gnome-search-tool
But this tool is gone away after shutdown of the CD-session. I suggest to do a Flash disk Install first and after this download gnome-search-tool within your flash disk installation to an USB stick. For CD version of Knoppix you need at least a 1GB USB stick, better a 4GB stick
aad 2) Have a look at the link I told you about how to handle with ERUNT and the files you'll get within the ERDNT folder.
-
Thanks - the accessories "Search for files" seems to work much better than the Tools / Find Files option in File Manager PCManFM. It would be great if PCManFM used the Accessories Search for Files.
Thanks for pointing out the Accessories search.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$96.60

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric
$174.99

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

NEW Cisco UCSB-5108-AC2 Blade Server Chassis 8 Slot 6RU Chassis 4 X PSU - DW
$599.40

Supermicro 4U 32x 3.5 Bays 4-Nodes | 8x E5-2660 v3 2.6Ghz | 64gb RAM | 9207-8i
$699.99

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis
$274.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Empty Chassis XJ6VP
$149.99

ASUS Blade Server LAN Web Remote Management KVM Module Chip IPMI 2.0 ASMB9-iKVM
$49.99

AS IS READ DESCRIP. Supermicro SuperServer 6026TT-HIBQRF 12-Bay 4x X8DTT-HIBQF
$215.00