-
How to find a file using Knoppix
I've got the «C:\windows\system32\config\system file is missing or corrupt» message and tried to restore the registry files it using Knoppix, i.e. copying the files in the SNAPSHOT file (REGISTRY_MACHINE_...) and paste them in the CONFIG folder. It seems I made a mistake because the REGISTRY_MACHINE_ files do not appear in the CONFIG folder. However, when I try to copy them again, I get the message that files with the same name do already exist and whether I want to overwrite them. I am using Knoppix v6.7.1. I do not see a 'find file' option in Knoppix? Any suggestions as to how I can search for and find them? Please, bear in mind my knowledge is very, very basic.
Thank you in advance for your help and look forward to your reply.
Gart
Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 05-30-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Reason: broken smiley link
-
I see nobody has replied to my query. Perhaps somebody could help with the following: I have found a folder by the name ERDNT. How can I use it to restore the registry? I hope my question makes sense (my knowledge is quite basic).
Thanks in advance for your help!
Garval
-
Within Knoppix 7.05 there is a searchtool at "Accessories/ Search for files".
Have a look at http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt
about ERDNT. Be aware: you can only restore your registry with ERUNT if you did a backup of the registry the last days.
-
What do you mean by "last days"?
-
If you did a backup of the registry with ERUNT month or years ago, it doesn't make sense to repair the registry with such old stuff.
-
Thanks. I really appreciate your help.
-
1. I have downloaded KNOPPIX_V7.0.5CD-2012-12-21-EN and do not see "search for files" under accessories. It only shows: File Manager PCManFM, Image Viewer, Leafpad, LXTerminal, Root Terminal, Screenshot, Xarchiver and Xournal
2. I have found C:/WINDOWS/ERDNT/AutoBackup It dates back to 29/05/2013
-
ad 1) This tool is only within the DVD-version of Knoppix. But you can open a terminal (3. icon from left) and type
Code:
su
aptitude update
aptitude install gnome-search-tool
But this tool is gone away after shutdown of the CD-session. I suggest to do a Flash disk Install first and after this download gnome-search-tool within your flash disk installation to an USB stick. For CD version of Knoppix you need at least a 1GB USB stick, better a 4GB stick
aad 2) Have a look at the link I told you about how to handle with ERUNT and the files you'll get within the ERDNT folder.
-
Thanks - the accessories "Search for files" seems to work much better than the Tools / Find Files option in File Manager PCManFM. It would be great if PCManFM used the Accessories Search for Files.
Thanks for pointing out the Accessories search.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac
$90.00

Original Early Vintage Macintosh Joystick for IIe IIc A2M2012 Untested
$99.00

Vintage 1988 Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Computer Keyboard WORKING See Video
$225.00

Kensington System Saver Fan for Vintage Early Mac WORKS
$119.00

Vintage Apple Power Macintosh 6100/66 M1596 - WORKING
$149.95

Vintage Apple Macintosh M0130 400K External Floppy Disk Drive Made USA Untested
$99.99

Vintage Apple Macintosh M0100 Mouse Beige One Button DB9 Made USA Untested
$59.99

Vintage Apple M7886 Power Mac G4 Cube 450MHz 64MB 20GB
$299.99

VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor
$250.00

Apple Vintage Keyboard - Macintosh - M0116 With Cord (260204)
$69.99