Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Kernel panic not syncing VFS: Error during booting remastered CD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    14

    Kernel panic not syncing VFS: Error during booting remastered CD

    I have remastered a Live CD by adding some executable and using this script:
    #! /bin/sh
    # krhowto_4
    # Path to partition you will work on
    PFAD="/media/sda1"
    START=$(date +'%s')
    # Disable screensaver

    xscreensaver-command -exit
    # Build new inital RAM-disk
    cd $PFAD/knx/minirt/minirtdir/
    find . | cpio -oH newc | gzip -9 > ../minirt.gz
    cp $PFAD/knx/minirt/minirt.gz $PFAD/knx/master/boot/isolinux/
    # Make the big compressed filesystem KNOPPIX
    genisoimage -input-charset ISO-8859-15 -R -l -D -V KNOPPIX_FS -quiet \
    -no-split-symlink-components -no-split-symlink-fields \
    -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes $PFAD/knx/source/KNOPPIX \
    | /usr/sbin/create_compressed_fs -q -B 65536 -t 8 -L -1 \
    -f $PFAD/knx/isotemp - $PFAD/knx/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
    # Update the file hashes used by the "testcd" boot option
    cd $PFAD/knx/master ; find -type f -not -name \
    sha1sums -not -name boot.cat -not \
    -name isolinux.bin -exec sha1sum '{}' \; > KNOPPIX/sha1sums
    # Create new Knoppix ISO
    genisoimage -l -r -J -V "KNOPPIX" \
    -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 \
    -boot-info-table -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat \
    -o $PFAD/knx/remasterd.iso $PFAD/knx/master
    # Enable screensaver
    su knoppix -c "xscreensaver -nosplash &"
    echo -e "\nFinished! Used time: $(expr $(expr $(date +'%s') - $START) / 60) min. \
    and $(expr $(expr $(date +'%s') - $START) % 60) sec. \
    \n\nThe new ISO is stored in '$PFAD/knx/remastered.iso' "[/COLOR]

    My knoppix version is 6.7.1.
    When I run the iso which is 725 mb it boots up, shows logo, and boot.. if i let it continue it shows this:
    Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF.... done
    Booting the kernel..
    [ 3.171152] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,1)....

    I have tried it many times but get the same result. I am using VMWare 8.0.6 to do all this.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Did you get an error message booting your remastered version with cheatcode

    knoppix testcd

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    14
    I do not know how to use cheatcode. But I have tried
    kvm -m 512 -cdrom $PFAD/knx/remastered.iso
    It showed the logo, boot: and then the same messages
    Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF.... done
    Booting the kernel..
    [ 3.171152] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,1)....

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    14
    If I type knoppix testcd, I get same error

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    14
    I tried all the cheatcodes including 'knoppix debug' This gave me more detailed information that was:
    [ 3.317878] VFS: Cannot open root device "(null)" or unknown-block(8,1)
    [3.317944] Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:
    [ 3.318010] 0b00 1048575 sr0 driver:sr
    [ 3.318076] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,1)
    [ 3.318142] Pid: 1. comm: swapper Tainted:G W 3.0.4 #12 etc.

    Where do I start checking?

  7. #7
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    I have remastered a Live CD by adding some executable and using this script
    Your remaster by itself is wrong. The sripts of Remaster HowTo I've tested many times.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    14
    Of course my remaster is wrong. and I have also tested it many times before. But this time it does not work. I have also given the script I have used for remaster. I have used only two major steps for remastering that could affect the final result:
    1. ran the following:
    #! /bin/sh
    # krhowto_1
    # Path to partition you will work on
    PFAD="/media/sda1"
    START=$(date +'%s')
    # Disable screensaver
    xscreensaver-command -exit
    # One sub-directory will be used for the Master-CD
    mkdir -p $PFAD/knx/master
    cd $PFAD/knx
    # You will need a swapfile
    dd if=/dev/zero of=swapfile bs=1M count=500
    mkswap swapfile ; swapon swapfile
    # Make a sub-directory for the source
    mkdir -p $PFAD/knx/source/KNOPPIX
    echo "Copy the KNOPPIX files to your source directory."
    echo "This will take a long time!"
    cp -rp /KNOPPIX/* $PFAD/knx/source/KNOPPIX
    # Additionally, copy the files to build the ISO later
    rsync -aH --exclude="KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX*" /mnt-system/* $PFAD/knx/master
    # gunzip inital RAM-disk
    mkdir -p $PFAD/knx/minirt/minirtdir
    cp $PFAD/knx/master/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz $PFAD/knx/minirt/
    cd $PFAD/knx/minirt/
    gunzip minirt.gz
    cd minirtdir
    cpio -imd --no-absolute-filenames < ../minirt
    # Enable screensaver
    su knoppix -c "xscreensaver -nosplash &"
    echo -e "\nFinished! Used time: $(expr $(expr $(date +'%s') - $START) / 60) min. \
    and $(expr $(expr $(date +'%s') - $START) % 60) sec."

    2. copied my executables
    3. Did the following:
    Create the autostart parameters as below.

    Created a file called myprog.desktop in /media/sda3/knx/source/KNOPPIX/home/knoppix/.config/autostart folder with the following contents:cd us

    [Desktop Entry]
    Type=Application
    Name=myprog
    Exec=sudo /usr/loca/bin/myprog.sh &
    Terminal=false
    X-GENOME-Autostart-enabled=true

    B. Create a file in /usr/local/bin/myprog.sh with exec permission with contents:
    #!/bin/sh
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib
    /bin/myprog



    3. Executed Bash remaster.sh which created the .iso

    So, where I am going wrong.

  9. #9
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    # Path to partition you will work on
    PFAD="/media/sda1"
    You have to declare the value of "PFAD" as you need it within all the four scriptparts of the HowTo.
    Created a file called myprog.desktop in /media/sda3/knx/source/KNOPPIX/home/knoppix/.config/autostart folder with the following contents:cd us
    /sda3 or /sda1? And what about "cd us"?
    Create a file in /usr/local/bin/myprog.sh with exec permission with contents:
    #!/bin/sh
    At this point are you working within the chroot or after leaving it?

    But as I can see it, this is not the reason for the unbootable remastered version.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    14
    Sure I changed all the PFAD to proper sda or sdb as the case may be. I did not use chroot but copied the files in the proper path. As the system anyway booted and came upto boot: , I also think this is not the reason. So, what is the reason? Firstly what is the error? And how do I get rid of it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$288.19



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC picture

Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC

$4.95



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory picture

MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory

$149.99



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT picture

5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT

$9.99