-
Junior Member
registered user
Success -> USB Memory Key to Store Knoppix Configuration
I'm using a 32 megabyte USB memory key to store Knoppix'e configuration and home directory data. It works fine, but I have a few questions.
I had a hard time figuring out the device name for the USB key. I looked in /var/log/messages and it was always empty. I looked inthe daily message and found the following:
# dmesg | grep sda
Attached scsi disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
SCSI device sda: 64000 512-byte hdwr sectors (33 MB)
sda: sda1 sda2 sda4
#
So i made a mount point mkdir /mnt/usbkey and then mounted sda with mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/usbkey. That worked OK, I could save files to the new mount, but I couldn't select /mnt/usbkey in KNoppix's save configuration dialog.
I could select floppy, /mnt/sda1, /mnt/sda2, or /mnt/sda4 in the save configuration dialog. Apparently these got automounted somehow. Selecting /mnt/sda1 resulted in a save configuration error. Selecting /mnt/sda4 worked perfectly. It also worked fine for creating a home directory image. The config and home directory also restore correctly on boot up too.

Where did /mnt/sda1, /mnt/sda2, and /mnt/sda4 come from? Knoppix must have automounted them? Why did /mnt/sda1 not work, but /mnt/sda4 work?
What was the sda: sda1 sda2 sda4 part of the daily message telling me?
I guess the plan is to just pop a USB memory key in, let Knoppix automount it, and go from there...
-jb
Similar Threads
-
By mabhatter in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-08-2005, 10:38 PM
-
By Mandarine in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-01-2005, 08:43 AM
-
By fhatuwani in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-14-2004, 08:00 PM
-
By kaibab in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-12-2004, 12:58 AM
-
By rrolsbe in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-12-2003, 09:42 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$374.48

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11
$149.00