-
How to fix USB Key for config or persistent home dir
Good afternoon all, I've been travelling these forums a lot trying to solve my problem of my USB key not being accessible for saving config or for setting persistent home directories. Wasn't able to find much in the way of answers, so I started messing around on my own.
I used fdisk /dev/sda in Knoppix shell and found that there were indeed four partitions on my measly 32mb Sony Microvault. For some reason none of the partitions were accessible though without a significant amount of tweaking. I went ahead and deleted all 4 of the partitions on my key and verified that they were indeed gone.
Next I simply plugged the key into my Windows XP box (gotta keep one around for Visual Studio work) and formatted the drive as FAT16 (for some reason when Sony ships them they are formatted FAT12, which is quite useless)
I then went back to my Knoppix machine and plugged in the key and the icon automatically appeared on my desktop as a mount to /dev/sda1. I am now able to save my config as well as create a persistent home dir on the key. I have since tried this same technique on a number of different keys I was having problems with, every one works like a charm.
Hope that helps.
Wally Lawless
http://www.power-coder.com
Similar Threads
-
By mabhatter in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-08-2005, 10:38 PM
-
By Mandarine in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-01-2005, 08:43 AM
-
By fhatuwani in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-14-2004, 08:00 PM
-
By kaibab in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-12-2004, 12:58 AM
-
By rrolsbe in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-12-2003, 09:42 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99

HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC
$184.99

acer swift air 14
$600.00

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused
$395.95

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core Ryzen 7 Pro 4750U 512GB SSD 16GB RAM FAIR BATT
$225.00

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS
$259.98