Quote Originally Posted by garyng
most likely than not, it cannot see your reader(or should I say it doesn't like your reader). If that is the case, either you have to recompile a new kernel(well a new module but since linux kernel and modules are so tightly coupled, it is better to compile everything) or you may wait for a newer KNOPPIX which may contain 2.4.21 that has more USB storage device support.
I think you are right. USB is very finnicky... My BusLink USB memory key works all the time on my ThinkPad at work and about 50% of the time on my Dell Inspiron notebook at home. When I get the directory error on my Dell, I just power off, then power on, then type the myconfig and home parameters. It usually sees the USB memory key after the second or third time.

The Crucial USB compactflash reader failed on both computers 100% of the time. I tried it with three different compactflash cards and they all failed.

I read in the Cheatcodes files that Knoppix would read the knoppix.sh file from the root of the CD at boot time. I removed some white papers to make room for the knoppix.sh file and the configs.tbz file. Unfortunately Knoppix started in a Knoppix Lite mode with the message Can't find Knoppix filesystem, sorry. Dropping you to a (very limited) shell. Maybe those pdf files have to stay there...

Any idea when Knoppix with the new kernel will be out?

-jb