-
Knoppix - how reliable it is for HDD erasing? (compared to DBAN and others)
Some time ago I used Knoppix to erase HDD (not SSD) with disk shredding. I was directed to it after lots of other tools just failed to work:
DBAN - failed, PCI sysf error. cannot disable the Media card reader in BIOS, cannot start the program at all..
HDDerase - considered the best as it can erase even sectors that DBAN cannot - tried to run it from DVD, again does not start properly, I enter A: in MS DOS rather than CD drive.. never been able to run it
MHDD - I do not even know how this program does it, nowhere explained
Eraser - runs some erasing processes of Free space but does not wipe out outside windows, I do not like the idea of running it from windows, I want to run outside windows
Knoppix - created a boot from USB flash drive - worked, selected the 600MB iso and installed to make a bootable USB. According to its instructions, I selected Console/Terminal/Shell option from it, typed command to start shredding and then I get like:
shred: dev/sda: pass 12/101 (111111) 125GiB/150GiB 83%
shred: dev/sda: pass 12/101 (111111) 135GiB/150GiB 85%
shred: dev/sda: pass 12/101 (111111) 144GiB/150GiB 92%
shred: dev/sda: pass 12/101 (111111) 149GiB/150GiB 98%
etc, until it reaches pass 101/101, I calculated ETA: 50 Hours
I ran 25 passes and didn't feel like going for more (it had to run 101 times), so then force shut down after the 25th, is this enough? Did I do any good erasing like DBAN or? So far this is the only tool that worked for me.
Do I need to do more? Is it as good as DBAN if I want the same job done or do I still need to use any of the mentioned previous tools?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives
$59.99

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$385.00

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$59.99

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99