Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix - how reliable it is for HDD erasing? (compared to DBAN and others)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix - how reliable it is for HDD erasing? (compared to DBAN and others)

    Some time ago I used Knoppix to erase HDD (not SSD) with disk shredding. I was directed to it after lots of other tools just failed to work:

    DBAN - failed, PCI sysf error. cannot disable the Media card reader in BIOS, cannot start the program at all..
    HDDerase - considered the best as it can erase even sectors that DBAN cannot - tried to run it from DVD, again does not start properly, I enter A: in MS DOS rather than CD drive.. never been able to run it
    MHDD - I do not even know how this program does it, nowhere explained

    Eraser - runs some erasing processes of Free space but does not wipe out outside windows, I do not like the idea of running it from windows, I want to run outside windows

    Knoppix - created a boot from USB flash drive - worked, selected the 600MB iso and installed to make a bootable USB. According to its instructions, I selected Console/Terminal/Shell option from it, typed command to start shredding and then I get like:

    shred: dev/sda: pass 12/101 (111111) 125GiB/150GiB 83%
    shred: dev/sda: pass 12/101 (111111) 135GiB/150GiB 85%
    shred: dev/sda: pass 12/101 (111111) 144GiB/150GiB 92%
    shred: dev/sda: pass 12/101 (111111) 149GiB/150GiB 98%

    etc, until it reaches pass 101/101, I calculated ETA: 50 Hours

    I ran 25 passes and didn't feel like going for more (it had to run 101 times), so then force shut down after the 25th, is this enough? Did I do any good erasing like DBAN or? So far this is the only tool that worked for me.

    Do I need to do more? Is it as good as DBAN if I want the same job done or do I still need to use any of the mentioned previous tools?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2
    Just getting rid of pictures that I do not wanna be retrieved when selling a system to a store, also that means both the picture and the filename that also has information needs to be gone and unretrievable. Should I understand that Knoppix is enough to get rid of pictures and their filename too?

    Hello?

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Secure deletion of data isn't a question of Knoppix. It is a question of understanding the background of deletion.Read more about this for example at this paper
    http://www.usenix.org/events/sec01/f...auer/bauer.pdf

    And why not alternatively physically destroy the harddrive?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



SSD 2.5

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed

$42.00