Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Step by step - Remaster Knoppix 7.0.5 CD w/ Virtualbox 4.2 from Oracle

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2

    Lightbulb Step by step - Remaster Knoppix 7.0.5 CD w/ Virtualbox 4.2 from Oracle

    Greetings. I don't know much about Linux and I don't pretend to (well sometimes I do). For the last few days I was having trouble with the included Virtualbox on the 7.0.5. DVD. For a recovery environment. I also wanted to trim down the image. So this is how I remastered the 7.0.5 Knoppix Live CD for live-USB booting w/ Virtualbox 4.2 from Oracle. The problem I was having is that the kernel module would have to get reloaded every boot, so this guide takes are of that by way of a .desktop file to autostart the custom script (that this guide will show you) so it executes /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup upon every reboot.

    This is a step by step guide and as such, it's pretty long, which is why I cannot use the forum and its cool formatting..This is first post so I can't post attachments. But I uploaded the .txt file here:



    (KnoppixRemastering-Virtualbox4-2-HOWTO.txt)

    I hope it helps anyone with the issues I was having.

    Thank you.
    -l33ch


    ---------------------------
    I've removed posted link because it doesn't work.
    wps
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 06-19-2013 at 06:17 AM.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    You know about the Remaster HowTo?
    .. so this guide takes are of that by way of a .desktop file to autostart the custom script (that this guide will show you) so it executes /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup upon every reboot.
    Why don't you describe only this step in detail?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2
    eh..nevermind. Too many roadblocks to be able to post here to begin with (No attachments. Limit on the post...which can be limited by the attachments..)...so I resorted to 3rd party file-hosting link..which of course doesn't work, but wouldn't have needed to if it wasn't such a hassle begin with. I'll post somewhere else, while Knoppix is awesome, this place it seems is not very efficient when it comes to being able to put forth help to try to help others. So be it. Here, tried it again if anyone cares:

    http://www.gogofile.com/Default.aspx...813622500_5806

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    I've some notes to your "Step by step" and I hope you'll not discouraged by this.

    To remaster Knoppix is not easy, especially with the chroot method. The preferred way nowadays is to use a flash disk installation of Knoppix and adapt all as you need it within this installation. For Knoppix CD version you need an USB stick with minimal size of 4GB, for DVD version minimal size 8GB. If you only want to install the latest VirtualBox version, then remaster with chroot method is an overkill.

    If you have a flash disk installation, you can use the following instructions.


    Download both files
    http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...heezy_i386.deb
    http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...0.vbox-extpack
    as you did it and save them to '/home/knoppix/Desktop'. Open a terminal and type:
    Code:
    su
    aptitude purge virtualbox?
    cd /home/knoppix/Desktop
    dpkg -i virtualbox-4.2_4.2.12-84980~Debian~wheezy_i386.deb
    • For CD version only: you'll get error messages because dependencies problems; therefore

    Code:
    aptitude update
    aptitude install virtualbox-4.2
    Now go on within the terminal:
    Code:
    usermod -a -G vboxusers knoppix
    /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    virtualbox
    The GUI of Virtualbox opens. Select "Files => Preferences => Extensions => the icon 'Add packages'" and install
    Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.2.12-84980.vbox-extpack.

    Close the GUI. Now you can start with "System Tools => Oracle VM VirtualBox" the new installed version.
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 06-21-2013 at 06:54 PM.

  5. #5
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Within your "Step by step"
    Now we need to make a script.sh file that reflects the settings from the .desktop file we created.
    Keep Terminal emulator open.
    Right click on desktop in GUI, and select create New->Blank file. Name the file myscript.sh. (no period)
    Do not muddle things! If you are in the chroot, remain in the chroot.

    I did the enviroment settings for the chroot in "krhowto_2" of the HowTo so that you can use graphical tools within the chroot not only as user knoppix but also as root. Therefore type in your terminal "leafpad", create your file and save it where you need it.
    Just create an empty txt file and make your changes. After making changes, save the file to:
    /KNOPPIX-DATA/home/knoppix/.config/autostart
    Don't edit anything within '/KNOPPIX-DATA/'. '/KNOPPIX-DATA/' is only used by the system to display you the content of the persistent memory. If you miss a file within '/home/knoppix/' in your remastered version, you did a mistake; perhaps you don't store it at the right position or you forgot to run the script "krhowto_4" once more.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$164.97



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00