-
Copying customizations from USB to USB; backing up customizations
Until recently, I was using Knoppix on a USB key with a persistent data store as a large normal file, which I would back up frequently so that if I screwed something up, I could just restore that one file and get back to where I was without having to redo all my customizations from scratch. However, I'm now interested in experimenting with VirtualBox, which uses files that are larger than can be contained in a FAT32 filesystem, let alone a virtual filesystem file within that filesystem.
I tried using the "experimental" script to make a new USB key with large file capabilities, but now I realized that 1) I don't know how to transfer my customizations to this new type of persistent data store, and 2) once I figure out how to do this, backing up these customizations will go from being a minor inconvenience to being a major chore, since most of my computers cannot natively read this new filesystem. Does anyone here have any suggestions for a simple backup procedure I could use?
And why does the script use this "ReiserFS" filesystem, anyway? From the little I've read about it, development on it has ground to a halt. Wouldn't it be better to have the install script ask the user what filesystem it should use?
I also tried pre-formatting the new USB with NTFS, only to find that Knoppix won't install on NTFS. Why not? Is there an easy way for me to get it onto an NTFS USB key?
-
ad 1) You can try to start your Knoppix - with persistent memory in an overlay file - without activating the persistent memory (cheatcode: knoppix noimage). To get access to the content of the persistent memory you have to create a directory on a partition with available free space; I used in this example '/mnt/repair'. Start in a terminal:
Code:
su
mkdir /mnt/repair
losetup /dev/loop1 /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img
mount /dev/loop1 /mnt/repair
Copy all of '/mnt/repair' to partition#2 of the other USB stick you've already prepared to use persistent memory in an overlay partition.
Don't forget to shutdown your stick with:
Code:
umount /dev/loop1
losetup -d /dev/loop1
ad 2) http://www.wp-schulz.de/summary/summary-backup.html
And why does the script use this "ReiserFS" filesystem, anyway? From the little I've read about it, development on it has ground to a halt.
ReiserFS is a proven Linux filesystem since many years; which development do you exspect?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox
$620.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00