I did my download and md5sum without errors from
ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/
but DE DVD ISO.
"ftp.uni-kl.de" is the server from "Technische Universität Kaiserslautern" where also KK teaches.
Hi Werner,
Would you please read my previous post on the problematical download from kernel.org and direct me to a mirror known to have a good copy (ie. downloaded iso successfully burned and tested) of the 7.2 en DVD iso?
thanks
I did my download and md5sum without errors from
ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/
but DE DVD ISO.
"ftp.uni-kl.de" is the server from "Technische Universität Kaiserslautern" where also KK teaches.
Thanks Werner. I should probably have waited to hear from someone who's downloaded the en version successfully, but have gone ahead and started the download. I should know in about 90 minutes whether I've got the same problem as at kernel.org. I've looked at the two bootonly downloads' md5sums, thinking they might have been mixed up, but neither one matches the sum I get from my download.
Having lots of fun today. After half a gigabyte of K7.2 was downloaded from uni-kl, Seamonkey's download manager suddenly showed the download as "cancelled" (certainly not by me). And when I tried to resume the download, it started from scratch, with the same ETA as before, almost three hours. So I think I've wasted enough time for now.
And when I finished editing my previous post to reflect this, that was refused too, because of the administrator's time limit of 10 minutes for post edits (suggestion to admin - maybe you could tell the poster this when he begins to edit his message, rather than waiting until he's ready to save it).
Oh, there is one other interesting detail. The newly "cancelled" download also shows as a complete .iso file, with the proper icon, just like the one from kernel.org. As I mentioned previously, my experience up to now is that an incomplete download is given the .part extension and a text icon. But maybe linux or Seamonkey has recently been "improved" to create this misleading effect...
Probably because I'm familiar enough with Seamonkey from years of using Puppy Linux that I can usually detect when something has changed in the security settings and and other functions, such as control of the mouse wheel, and figure out how to reconfigure them.
I run Firefox occasionally, mostly to use plug ins not available to Seamonkey, like download helper. But I don't feel in control or safe with firefox. With Opera and Chrome it's even worse... Last time I used Opera, I had to get major help to set up a tool to use Google translate on web pages. And a few months later, I'd completely forgotten how to access it again.
So all in all, I'd say the reason is that I'm relatively comfortable with it, as I used to be with IE5.
Knoppix 7.2 EN download update
Last night I managed to download the complete iso of Knoppix 7.2 en via http from uni-kl using Firefox in Puppy Linux. The iso passed the md5sum test, the DVD I burned passed the testcd test, and I was able to do an "i" usbflash install to an 8GB SDHC card, which booted without issues, and seems to run ok.
So it may be that my previous two failed attempts to download the iso via http from kernel.org and via ftp from uni-kl had something to do with the browser I used, Seamonkey 2.17.1.
I have run into one strange problem already with Knoppix 7.2 - when I try to open the "software center" app to download packages, nothing happens, I have to use Synaptic. In last year's version, it was the other way around - I couldn't get Synatpic to run, but Software Center did the job.
Hello,
If you are interested in trying Knoppix 7.2.0 within a VMware virtual machine guest
you may consider using using this vm which allows Knoppix to recognize the graphical hardware
acceleration and 3D rendering provided by VMware and use the compiz 3D effects (as the cube):
http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/115...607#post129607
Please provide some feedback.
Best Regards,
Gilles
thanks. I am interested, but question my competence or the adequacy of my hardware. My usual machine is a ten year old pentium 4 with 2GB of 233MHz RAM and a chip video controller. Plus I don't feel I really understand the concept of a virtual machine, and especially it's limitations, adequately.
However, I've passed your suggestion and the series of links on to a friend who has played with both Knoppix and VM quite a bit, in the hope he'll be interested enough by it to download Knoppix 7.2 (he's asked me to give it a report card, and he should know better by now).
I'm mostly stuck on simple little problems, like figuring out how I can run virus scans on my downloads, websaves, and mail attachments under Linux, so that they don't infect my Windows systems. This may well be the one reason why I'm still running a three year old version of Puppy - Lucid 5.28 "lupuplus"- it supports X-fprot, unlike Knoppix, apparently.
Every year I try to figure out how to use ClamAV in Knoppix. Maybe this year I'll succeed, but I'm not very hopeful. If I do, maybe I'll go on to try to figure out why no one in the Debian camp has made similar update and real-time gui for Fprot or some other freeware AV app for linux.

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8-Core 16-Thread 3.4GHz 36MB Cache AM4 926WOF
$177.00
OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$95.00
Dell Optiplex 7090 SFF Win11 PC i5-10500 E 8GB RAM 256SSD Radeon RX640 4GB Wifi
$239.00
AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF
$435.99
Lenovo ThinkCentre M720Q Core i5-8500T 2.10GHz 8GB 128GB SDD W11 Mini PC (Z3675)
$123.16
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Cores 8MB Up to 4.9GHz Desktop Processor 100-100000059WOF
$350.00
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor….
$309.99
AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$175.00
Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW
$225.00