as far as I know, the patch just changes one or two lines of parameter about the command line buffer. you can manually edit that too but patching is just fine as it is so simple and would not interfere with any other patches.
Hi _ by some incredibly stupid use of the patch command, I have succeeded in reducing this file (Knoppix-kernel.patch) to zero bytes. Wanna see? OK Enter this with the caps lockON
patch -p1 /dest file </usr/src/knoppix-kernel.patch
The console will just sit there saying nothing but silently musing, "What's this dumb shithead trying to do here?"
having 'patched' the Knoppix-kernel.patch with what was in the destination file, because with caps lock On you will type > instead of < :)
When you have seen the error of your ways and retype the command in lower case, you will effectively replace the destination file with itself, and apparently reduce the original patch to zero bytes. Fun eh? :)
Now _ I have a HD installed 3.1 Knoppix with a 2.4.20-xfs kernel. I want to use a 3rd party tekram dc395U scsi patch and get my USB Dial-Up modem working, but I guess it was tempting fate expecting the kernel sources to be on the 'Trial-CD' > So, I downloaded 2.4.20 and was about to apply the Knoppix-kernel.patch after having dealt with the Tekram stuff when I blew the patch away.
Now to my question ( at last )
Do I (really) need to patch the new kernel with the K-k.patch for it to work correctly? [ xfs file system conflicts? ][ Other weirdness? ] if NOT fine i'll continue with make-kpkg then dkpkg -i (the .deb ) and reconfigure Loadlin.
Please do not talk to me about Lilo or Grub.
If YES, then where can I find a copy to download if such a place exists, OR
do i have to go back to the CD and redo my knx-hdinstall AGAIN?
May the sources be with you
Lance
as far as I know, the patch just changes one or two lines of parameter about the command line buffer. you can manually edit that too but patching is just fine as it is so simple and would not interfere with any other patches.
Hi Garyng, thanks for your reply.Originally Posted by garyng
The problem still remains, even for manual patching or automatic patching.
I no longer HAVE the patch (see original ) It = zero bytes = It has gone.
If I need it to use a new kernel, I need to know where to find it (Web?)
If I don't need it, well & good, I'll just continue without it.
cheers
Lance.
actually, you don't need the patch for most installation as the reason for it is that you can add lots of boot prompt parameters but if it is not that much, the default (256 byte) should be enough, knoppix use 512.
I no longer boot into KNOPPIX so I don't have that at hand, just ask someone to post it, it is really very simple.
You can also boot into the CD and copy or have a look at it. no need to do any reinstallation.
Garyng
yes I have found this; I recompiled 2.4.20 without bothering about the patch, created a boot floopy and it seems fine. Found my tekram dc395U scsi card fine, but lost the pppd function, and now both my initial version (-xfs) and the new 2.4.20 have /dev/hdc2 fs errors that no amount of e2fsk-ing seem to be able to eradicate. Back to the drawing board.
I'll probably start from scratch and might even go for a different dist.
Do you know if I need to create an initrd file with the new kernel?
cheers.
Lance.

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00
Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48
Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98
Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49
DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99
Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$374.48
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00
DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11
$149.00