Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: How can I clean up when Synaptic screws up?

Threaded View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    14

    How can I clean up when Synaptic screws up?

    Preface #1: I posted in this section because it has "apt" in its title, but I apologize in advance if it should have gone elsewhere.

    Preface #2: I use Knoppix for two purposes: A) to repair those other OSs when they get too badly screwed up to run properly, and B) to experiment with *nix technology in a way that won't crash my essential systems.

    From Apt-get / dpkg tutorial:
    Quote Originally Posted by MickLinux
    that's how *I* learn. Not by man, not by asking questions, but by blowing it up and then examining all the little pieces, and finally publishing and asking for opinions. The nuclear physicist method, if you will.
    For B), I do many things with Knoppix that KK and WPS specifically warn not to do, including (in my current case) trying to upgrade the preinstalled packages that come with Knoppix. I ask this question here because I haven't had any luck finding an answer elsewhere - not because it's particularly appropriate to Knoppix.

    Preface #3: I'm not exactly a clueless newbie; when I started using Unix, it was an actual AT&T product on actual AT&T hardware, connected to actual terminals - but much of what computers do nowadays involves hiding the complexities of running them, making finding out what's going on "under the hood" (let alone digging around in there) next to impossible.

    And now, on to the actual question: I recently tried to upgrade some of the packages on my Knoppix USB key, but one of the upgrades failed, and now every time I do anything with Synaptic, it keeps trying (and again failing) to redo the failed upgrade. (I'm deliberately not mentioning which package failed to upgrade, because I don't want to sidetrack this thread with package-specific discussions, or warnings about how bad it is to try to upgrade packages you know little about.)

    How do I make Synaptic forget that this upgrade is pending, and stop trying to finish it?
    Last edited by soubeagi; 06-29-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series picture

ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series

$235.99



Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard picture

Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard

$54.99