Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: user root en kn-remaster (using knoppix 7.2!!!)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Stiens (FRL) Netherlands
    Posts
    27

    user root en kn-remaster (using knoppix 7.2!!!)

    Hello,

    I'm bulding a custom knoppix CD with the kn-remaster script (I know this has not been released for the 7.2 knoppix CD!!, but besides this it works fine)
    I modified knoppix-startx script and changes the user "knoppix" to user "root" so the CD boots and logs in as user "root"
    Now when I build and run the iso all the icons en background settings are not there, just a clean desktop with no icons or background wallpaper.

    When I look in /opt/knx/remaster/root/Desktop the icons are there!
    Why does't this work?, anyone got any idea?

    Thank you.
    WJP

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Never, never, never boot and use Linux (in this case Knoppix) as root! This is a mortal sin.
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 06-28-2013 at 03:36 PM.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Stiens (FRL) Netherlands
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    Never, never, never boot and use Linux (in this case Knoppix) as root! This is a mortal sin.
    Yes yes, I know.. The CD is not used outside this building, I dont care about security. This is a special project and only for internal use. I need this to run a couple of scripts at boot, or a way to run scripts and create directories without
    "sudo".

    Or is there a way to give the user " knoppix" root privileges. I just dont want to "sudo su".!!?
    Last edited by wjp79; 07-01-2013 at 08:55 AM.

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    I need this to run a couple of scripts at boot, ..
    Why not use knoppix.sh for this (tip 4)? This script will be executed by root and you can create your directories.
    Or is there a way to give the user " knoppix" root privileges. I just dont want to "sudo su".!!?
    You don't need "sudo su". Have a look within '/etc/sudoers' and you can see that "knoppix" can do all without password.

    For example
    Code:
    sudo mkdir -p /test/test1/test2

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Stiens (FRL) Netherlands
    Posts
    27
    Hello,

    I already use the knoppix.sh script. But besides this script, I have a dozen of other scripts that I use. I just dont want the user to "sudo" every command / script. (I am using the scripts to mount windows harddrives, fetch fsarchiver images, do badblock test etc etc.)
    The weird thing is I remasterd the 7.05 CD with user root and desktop icons without any problems. Now with the 7.2 CD it just doesn't work. I just can't figure out why!,
    All the Desktop icons are in /opt/knx/remaster/root/desktop folder. I also tried to move the home folder to /home/root in the passwd file, but this also doesnt work.
    Somehow when the CD is build, the /root/desktop folder is "reset". When I boot the CD it is just a clean desktop.

    I understand that using "root" is not the "right" way, but this is just how I remasterd the knoppix CD from knoppix live 2.6.23.1 and the users are accustomed to.
    Last edited by wjp79; 07-02-2013 at 08:27 AM. Reason: changed the \ to / :-)

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Stiens (FRL) Netherlands
    Posts
    27
    OMG I feel so stupid.....
    It works!!!!...

    I Just selected the wrong iso the whole time. using virtualbox..... AAAAAaaaargh... coffeee.....

    Thank you for your time.. Maybe someone can just delete this whole topic and spare me the humilliation.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac picture

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac

$90.00



Vintage AppleDesign Keyboard M2980 & Mouse II M2706 ADB Cable Bundle Mac picture

Vintage AppleDesign Keyboard M2980 & Mouse II M2706 ADB Cable Bundle Mac

$69.99



Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read picture

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read

$295.00



Apple Macintosh Plus Vintage Mac Computer Shell Front/Back Only (260200) picture

Apple Macintosh Plus Vintage Mac Computer Shell Front/Back Only (260200)

$29.99



Apple Macintosh 512K Vintage Compact Desktop Computer Classic Mac picture

Apple Macintosh 512K Vintage Compact Desktop Computer Classic Mac

$197.00



Vintage 1989 APPLE MACINTOSH IIci M5780 Desktop Personal Computer UNTESTED picture

Vintage 1989 APPLE MACINTOSH IIci M5780 Desktop Personal Computer UNTESTED

$99.90



Vintage APPLE POWER MACINTOSH 8500/180 M3409 w/ Original Box & Reciept UNTESTED picture

Vintage APPLE POWER MACINTOSH 8500/180 M3409 w/ Original Box & Reciept UNTESTED

$199.00



Vintage Apple Mac OS 9 Retail Box 1999 Sherlock 2 Original CD Manuals picture

Vintage Apple Mac OS 9 Retail Box 1999 Sherlock 2 Original CD Manuals

$50.00



Vintage Apple Mac A1048 White Wired Full Size Keyboard w/ 2 USB Ports TESTED picture

Vintage Apple Mac A1048 White Wired Full Size Keyboard w/ 2 USB Ports TESTED

$22.89



VTG Apple Macintosh Owner's Guide Manual Mixed Lot With System 7 Software  picture

VTG Apple Macintosh Owner's Guide Manual Mixed Lot With System 7 Software

$200.00