-
cannot mount cifs share from Knoppix 7.2.0 client - works on Knoppix 7.0.2
Mounting a "Windows" type share on a Knoppix 7.2.0 client fails :
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ /usr/bin/sudo /bin/mount //srv1/downloads /mnt --verbose -t cifs -o rw,file_mode=0640,dir_mode=0755,user=freddy,passwo rd=MYPASS,uid=1000
mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=192.168.1.21,unc=\\srv1\downloads,file_mode=064 0,dir_mode=0755,uid=1000,user=freddy,pass=********
mount error(13): Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ echo $?
32
KNOPPIX 7.2.0 DVD version booted with
KERNEL linux
INITRD minirt.gz
APPEND lang=en apm=power-off nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 tz=localtime keyboard=dk xkeyboard=dk no3d noimage
The share is on a Synology DS209j NAS running the latest DSM 4.2-3211. When I first met this problem, the NAS was running DSM 4.0, so I upgraded the NAS to DSM4.2, but the problem remained.
When I boot Knoppix 7.0.2 I can mount the share, regardless of DSM version. On Knoppix 7.0.2 it says:
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ /usr/bin/sudo /bin/mount //srv1/downloads /mnt --verbose -t cifs -o rw,file_mode=0640,dir_mode=0755,user=freddy,passwo rd=MYPASS,uid=1000
mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=192.168.1.21,unc=\\srv1\downloads,file_mode=064 0,dir_mode=0755,uid=1000,ver=1,user=freddy,pass=** ******
unable to add mount entry to mtab
error 22 detected on close of mtab
unable to add mount entry to mtab
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ echo $?
16
but the share is mounted, and I can use it without problems.
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdb1 33535312 29672688 3862624 89% /mnt-system
tmpfs 1646592 1884 1644708 1% /ramdisk
/dev/cloop 9739970 9739970 0 100% /KNOPPIX
unionfs 1646592 1884 1644708 1% /UNIONFS
unionfs 1646592 1884 1644708 1% /usr
unionfs 1646592 1884 1644708 1% /home
tmpfs 10240 60 10180 1% /UNIONFS/var/run
tmpfs 20480 2740 17740 14% /run
tmpfs 10240 0 10240 0% /UNIONFS/var/lock
tmpfs 102400 36 102364 1% /UNIONFS/var/log
tmpfs 2097152 20 2097132 1% /tmp
udev 20480 4 20476 1% /dev
tmpfs 2097152 0 2097152 0% /dev/shm
//srv1/downloads/ 958340616 827723084 130515132 87% /mnt
KNOPPIX 7.0.2 DVD version booted with
KERNEL linux
INITRD minirt.gz
APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en apm=power-off nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 tz=localtime keyboard=dk xkeyboard=dk no3d noimage
I have tried to mount the share from Knoppix 7.2.0 using the ver=1 mount parameter as seen on Knoppix 7.0.2, but to no avail:
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ /usr/bin/sudo /bin/mount //srv1/downloads /mnt --verbose -t cifs -o rw,file_mode=0640,dir_mode=0755,uid=1000,ver=1,use r=freddy,password=MYPASS
mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=192.168.1.21,unc=\\srv1\downloads,file_mode=064 0,dir_mode=0755,ver=1,uid=1000,user=freddy,pass=** ******
mount error(13): Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ echo $?
32
-
I have also tried with different options to ensure the correct user is being used:
/usr/bin/sudo /bin/mount //srv1/downloads /mnt --verbose -t cifs -o user=srv1/freddy
and with
/usr/bin/sudo /bin/mount //srv1/downloads /mnt --verbose -t cifs -o user=freddy,domain=srv1
but I still get the same results - mounting fails in Knoppix 7.2.0.
-
SOLVED: cannot mount cifs share from Knoppix 7.2.0 client - works on Knoppix 7.0.2
AHA! dmesg said something about changing the default security model:
CIFS VFS: default security mechanism requested. The default security mechanism will be upgraded from ntlm to ntlmv2 in kernel release 3.3
So I tried to add the parameter sec=ntlm and VOILA, I could mount the shares using Knoppix 7.2.0
It seems that Synology DSM 4.2 insists on the old security mechanism ntlm.
This works:
/usr/bin/sudo /bin/mount //192.168.01.21/downloads /home/knoppix/srv1/downloads/ --verbose -t cifs -o rw,file_mode=0640,dir_mode=0755,sec=ntlm,user=freddy,password=MYPASS,uid=1000
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer Boots Up / Floppy Disk Stuck
$99.99

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read
$295.00

Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read
$199.99

Mixed Lot Vintage Mac Windows media / Graphics / Sound Software - CDs 37 Pieces
$40.99

Macintosh MacTerminal M0521 Version 1.0. Vintage Apple software 1984 Sealed
$129.99

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac
$90.00

Vintage 1992 Mac System 7.1P1 Apple Software 3.5” Floppy Disks NOS
$35.00

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer - Works
$169.99

Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage
$249.00

Vintage Edmark TouchWindow for Macintosh DeskTop Computer Touch Window Never Usd
$63.99